Unusual Camouflage 1945

gwb123

This photo came from a set that I posted in the TR Photos section about soldiers surrendering at the end of the war.  The scene was later described as:

"... taken at Tangermuende, Saxony-Anhalt, early may 1945. Elements of German 12th Army (Armee Wenck) and 9th Army escaped the Halbe pocket and tried to reach the western riverside of the Elbe. The partial destroyed Elbe bridge at Tangermuende was one of the few remaining opportunities to cross the river and get away from Russian war captivity. Finally these troops were captured by the 102nd U.S. Infantry Division."

I cannot verify that the photos of discarded weapons, helmets and ammunition were from the same incident.

The oddly painted helmet at the bottom of the photo stands out from rest.

95265019_3317715891605755_2600182641336516608_n.jpg

A closer view...   Feel free to discuss... has anyone ever seen one like this before?

Helmet Camo.jpg

That is pretty cool. I've seen similar on WWI Stahlhelms but, not WWII.

• 2 weeks later...

My father was in the US Army, 86th Infantry Div. His mother's sister's son ( one mother left Lithuania for the US in the 1920's, the  sister stayed on) was in the German army captured at Stalingrad- word got back in 1959 he died somewhere in Siberia in 1956. Russian Army captivity was brutal.