Japanese Army helmet with net and cover

warguy

I recently retired and have more time now to post and photograph my collection. I recently acquired a light box and have been shooting better photos of some of my collection. Here is the result on one of my favorites. This helmet came from the collection of a WWII vet who was a dentist in a town near me. As he was getting on in age, he decided to sell his military book library, and numerous items of WWII militaria he had acquired over the years. I was told he was a Marine Corps veteran, and served on Iwo and brought this helmet home. I was alerted to the sale by a buddy who was running an antique store in the town where this sale occurred. I took off a few hours from work early Friday morning when the sale started and was there when the doors opened. The four folks in front of me where book dealers, and they complained the whole time about the high prices of the militaria offered. I left the sale that morning with a nice field grey M16 German helmet, a rare Imperial Guarde Du Corps stein, a Luftwaffe overseas cap, and a Luftwaffe helmet, all acquired for under $100 each, (I still have all of those in my collection). Here is the embarrassing part, I passed on this Japanese helmet which was for sale for $300.00. Luck was rarely on my side however, and on the following Sunday afternoon, the dealer called me and said the helmet had not sold (three days of folks walking through and it had not sold for $300!). Anyway, he said they were slashing prices by 50%, so I bought it over the phone. I hope you like it as much as I do, it is certainly one of my favorites. I don't believe the cover has ever been off the helmet-I took a peak and it has some dirt and dust and dead pests between the cover and helmet. Man, I sure miss the old days!

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

Very nice helmet!

Excellent photos.  Looks like the light box is working well for you.  Look forward to seeing other items from your collection.

• 1 month later...