Seeking Information on Imperial German Gefreiter's 'Rank Button[s]' & Related ?

dpast32

Good Morning Folks,  As everyone here on the WMF may have surmised by now, the Imperial German category isn't my primary collecting interest, hence my lack of knowledge in this particular area. However, I am learning as I go, so please bear with me. My question today is to gain at least a cursory overview of these 'Rank Buttons', their relative size, their appearance, color, etc. From what little I've learned so far, it appears as if the Gefreiter Rank was the lowest amongst the Enlisted personnel to have utilized such a device. My interest here is related to my recently acquired WW1 era E.K. II Group to Gefreiter Heinrich Heuss,  an 'Sanitater & Musiker' of the 1st Kompanie, Reserve Infantry Regiment Nr. 80, for pretty much the whole conflict, 04 August 1914 - 30 November 1918. I have also observed 2 varying descriptions of the Gefreiter Rank, those being Senior / Superior Private, & Lance Corporal ?

And, while I'm referring to Gefreiter, I guess I should probably ask my question pertaining to who would be authorized to wear an specific type / style of E.M.'s Hat ? As in; I've observed 2 styles of Hats, or Caps being worn by many lower ranked Enlisted personnel. One is commonly referred to as the, 'Feldmutze' [ flat top, w/o visor ] & the basic style with visor & 'raised' front, quite similar to your basic Officer's style Service Cap, so to speak. I guess what I'm trying to determine is who / which Ranks would be entitled to wear each particular style ? OK, I guess I've asked enough questions for the moment, & will very much appreciate any & all replies. THANK YOU Gent's,

Best,     Dom P.  /  dpast32

Proud Kraut

I think the headgear you are talking about is the so called "Kraetzchen". The hat w/o visor was worn by "Mannschaften und Unteroffiziere" (enlisted and NCO ranks) during WW I. At the moment I have no access to my archive. I will post some pictures of contemporary manuals next week.

This Wikipedia article (and it´s English translation) will give you a first impression of the German ranks in WW I.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dienstgrade_des_Deutschen_Heeres_(Deutsches_Kaiserreich)