Colorful Off-To-War Banner

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

At the time I picked up this off-to-war banner, I thought it was one of the most colorful I had seen.  It measures approximately 19.5″ wide X 81.” long. The white center panel is made from an age darkened silk material and is outlined with a heavy red crepe silk-satin material. The red crepe is sprinkled with what appears to be real gold foil. The upper art panel displays a Japanese navy organizational emblem of sun and outstretched rays. In its center, a dark blue navy anchor is superimposed. Below that, an attractive sea foam green squiggle design crosses the nobori from right to left. In the center of that design, a bright silver Japanese army star, made from a heavy silver foil paper, is shown. The banner also comes on its original wood pole with hanging cord and red-white tassels.

The vertical lines of kanji begin with a large red character for celebrating a man going off-to-war. The large black and smaller blue ideograms say “Celebrating Joining- Mr. Kajima Kozo. [Presented by]- Tange Nobuo”.

If anyone else has off-to-war banners to share, I would love to see them. There are many banners with typical art designs and some that you rarely see.

IMG_0046 (2).JPG

IMG_0047 (2).JPG

IMG_0048 (2).JPG

IMG_0049 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Thanks Rich!  It was definitely not the kind you would see everyday.