Colorful Off-To-War Banner

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

It's getting a bit tough to find the metal star types of banner.  The stars are normally made from a somewhat shiny, heavy metal.  They have small prongs on the sides that are pushed through the material and then bent over and secured to a star shaped piece of cardboard on the back.  That way, the star doesn't tear out or pull through the material and become lost.  

Fortunes Of War

Here is one of my latest banners.  It is a rare funeral banner made from black and white silk-satin.  The characters read "[To the] Spirit of Late Army Lt. Mr. Awazu Tomoo". 

IMG_0363 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Here's one I just picked up.  It was presented to "Mr. Takayama Koji from the Shimo Shinjo District" (probably located in Osaka).

IMG_0364 (2).JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Got these. The faded cotton banner has a piece of paper with it that has WU Marine Corp written on it. I do not know if that means the banner is to a NLF soldier.  Rich A. in Pa.

WMFBanner22.jpg

WMFBanner23.jpg

WMFBanner24.jpg

WMFBanner25.jpg

WMFBanner26.jpg

Fortunes Of War

Nice off-to-war banners Rich, and a nice variety.  How many do you have in your collection now?

• 3 weeks later...
Fortunes Of War

Rich-

Now you're teasing us!  Really nice collection of banners. I like the rectangular, flag-shaped one even though it is faded.

• 2 weeks later...
Fortunes Of War

Rich-

Those are really nice!  It looks like the first two banners are made out to the same guy, with two different people presenting them to him.  The next two are also made out to the same person (not the same as the first two banners).  I like your rectangle shaped banner; you don't see too many in that shape/size with a Golden Kite on top.  Most seem to have the Imperial Japanese Army star on the top.  The last one appears to have the information from the banner shop stencilled on the reverse....Thanks again for showing us all of those.

Fortunes Of War

Unfinished banners are generally tough to find; makes sense since most were made upon being ordered.  Unfinished banners are great additions to any Japanese flag/banner collection...if you can find 'em!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Fortunes Of War

Pretty banners Rich; I like the art.  Your collection is becoming quite nice!