A Strange Iraqi Helmet

ScottG

I brought this home in 2004. It appears to be a safety type helmet that is heavily over painted in tan except for the wear but used to be white. The liner is attached by strings that penetrate the shell and then weave through the inner band. It is quite thin and light and certainly would not offer any ballistic protection. Inside is a mark "M" for what I assume to be medium, a circle with a seahorse in the center with curled tail, and a number which is in black. There is a gauze bandage stored in the dome and attached to the liner, and a large plastic "ball" to draw the liner tighter. There is some Arabic writing but I have never tried to get it translated. Overall in interesting helmet that is well used.    Scott.

DSCN0146.JPG

DSCN0145.JPG

DSCN0147.JPG

DSCN0148.JPG

DSCN0149.JPG

DSCN0150.JPG

DSCN0151.JPG

DSCN0152.JPG

Great helmet Scott it has a lot of character and has definitely been around the block a couple of times I have a vague memory of seeing the seahorse mark in the past somewhere before, so now need to see if I can find it again...

Regards Mark 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

Reminds me of Japanese construction hard hats.

It very well could be. Both Mark K and I have seen the seahorse logo somewhere but neither of us could remember where... I mentioned Japan and Taiwan as possibilities.  Scott