UK Distinguished Service Order (DSO)

stratasfan

Instituted by Royal Warrant dated 6 Sept 1866, the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) is awarded for meritorious or distinguished service by officers of the armed forces, typically serving under fire. The award carries with it the right to append the letters D.S.O. after the recipient's name. 

The first dated DSOs awarded on 25 Nov 1886. Until the end of the 20th Century, it was only awarded to Officers, typically the rank of Major and over. When awarded to lower ranks, it was usually for actions just below deserving the VC. Until 1943, recipients had to be mentioned in despatches to be recommended for the award.

Since 1993, all ranks have been eligible and it has been awarded for "highly successful command and leadership during active operations".

This award is usually given for actual service in combat or conditions equivalent of combat. Between 1914 and 1916, it was awared to staff officers who were not under fire, but in 1917 it was again restricted to combat action. In 1942, officers of the Merchant Navy were allowed to be awarded the DSO, as well. 

DESCRIPTION

The badge consists of a convex gold cross, enamelled white, leaving an edge of gold. Obverse:  In the center, within two sprigs of laurel that are enamelled green, is the Imperial Crown in gold upon a red enamelled ground.

Reverse: The Monarch's monogram within two branches of laurel, also upon a red enamelled ground.

The badge is worn suspended from a red ribbon drape that is edged with blue, 1 in. in width, from a gold laureated bar 1⅕ in. wide, fastened to the badge by two gold loops, and having a similar gold laureated bar with brooch attachment above.

Originally the medal was gold, since 1889 it is silver gilt.

Officially issued unnamed. Some recipients privately get their name engraved on the back of the suspension bar.

BARS

Beginning in 1916, Ribbon Bars were authorised for subsequent awards, and the bar would be worn on the ribbon of the original DSO.  The bar is plain gold and in the center is the Imperial Crown. Since the late 1930s, the year the medal is awarded is engraved on the back of the bar. 

A silver rosette is worn on the ribbon to signify the award of each bar.

Front: (Medal with bar)

image.png

Backs:

(Queen Victoria era)

image.png.fe949378888f34215be2babbb39cea40.png

(George V era)

image.png

(George VI era)

image.png

(Queen Elizabeth II era)

image.png

If you have one of these medals to show, a picture of a soldier wearing it, or a story about this medal being awarded/earned . . . please feel free to share it here!

US Army Major Mark Alexander, who served in the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 82nd Airborne Division in World War II received the D.S.O which was awarded by King George VI at a ceremony at Buckingham Palace during the war. At the same ceremony, LT General George S. Patton Jr. received the British Order of the Bath. After the ceremony, General Patton approached Major Alexander and said "Wanna trade?" 

The story was told directly to me by the late Major Alexander in 1985.

Allan

• 5 weeks later...

Allan, that is just an outstanding nugget of history that you don’t hear every day. The stories you have from pivotal people never cease to amaze me. I’ve known you 33 years and never heard that one!

My small contribution. DSO Victorian Era. Purchased the case separate just to house it vice having it loose over so many years 

E6BFB9D4-9245-4B7D-9C71-B37C0711760D.jpeg

10 hours ago, Elliott R said:

you.... you... own that? I have never even seen one for sale ever across any site or at any auction. Very impressive

Yes Elliot, Sal owns that. I have told him for years that it is trash and that he should either throw it in the garbage or mail it to me. I cannot believe he would stoop to posting such a trivial bauble on this august forum. 

Allan

• 4 weeks later...

Just had to share this amazing story! 2nd Lieutenant Cyril George Edwards was serving with 2/7th Battalion The Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment.  On 28 July 1917, Edwards was leading his platoon on a mission to scout the enemy wire in no-man’s-land near Bullecourt where they were attacked by grenades.

The first two were evaded, but the third grenade landed among his men.

Cyril acted quickly by stamping the grenade into the soft ground. It exploded, shattering his leg. But he had saved the lives of his men in the process. Members of Cyril’s platoon swiftly dragged their wounded commander back to safety, where he apparently reported the information he had gathered on the enemy line.

His leg was so seriously injured and he lost so much blood that by the time he arrived at the field hospital, his heart had almost stopped. The doctor in charge of Lt. Edwards was Captain Rendle Short who had been studying treatments for surgical shock and experimental blood transfusions. The Doctor put what he had learned into action to try and save Edwards' life. Knowledge of blood groups and incompatibilities was almost none and blood banks were a thing of the future. The Doctor selected a blood donor and, placing him near the wounded officer, used a tube and needles to transfer blood from incisions made on the two men's arms. It stabilized Edwards' condition enough that they were able to amputate the shattered leg.

Edwards was moved to a Red Cross hospital at Rouen while he recovered enough to be able to return to England.

In his diary, for the fateful day, Edwards simply wrote "Copped it . . . "

He enthusiastically documented his recovery, the making of his prosthetic leg, and his return to civilian life by keeping a photograph album that shows pictures all along his road to recovery. This album is also held by the National Army Museum

Lt. Edwards recovering at Ilfracombe, 1918

image.png

Endsleigh Palace Hospital, 1917

image.png

Self-Portrait while practising with his new prosthetic

image.png

REINCOURT, 27th July, 1917. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty.
Having gone out with a N.C.O. to reconnoitre the enemy's wire, they were attacked by bombs. The first one he seized before it exploded and threw it back, and, when the second fell, realising that they could not both escape unharmed, he threw his legs over it to smother the explosion, and thus protected the N.C.O. By this splendid act of gallantry and self-sacrifice he saved the life of his comrade at the risk of his own. The N.C.O. was able to drag him back to our lines, where he showed great pluck in reporting the information which he had gained by his daring reconnaissance.

This is his DSO (Courtesy of the National Army Museum)

image.png

image.png

• 4 months later...
On 2/11/2022 at 8:43 AM, Allan H. said:

Yes Elliot, Sal owns that. I have told him for years that it is trash and that he should either throw it in the garbage or mail it to me. I cannot believe he would stoop to posting such a trivial bauble on this august forum. 

Allan

What can I say, I’m a bauble poster and a trivial stooper…

I got lucky in an FJP auction, this was my first major British order in my collection. I had a couple MBE & OBE but nothing of consequence until I purchased this…that’s when I fell in love with British orders.