Afghan National Police Body Armor

Nkomo

A used set of Afghan National Police (ANP) body armor.  If I am not mistaken, the armor is a Level II or Level IIa, so it offers very little actual protection.

image.png.bd6a7e760d690438512fbd4480277549.pngimage.png.a0292b7e51d30faee8cc1997ad110e55.png

• 2 weeks later...

Nice vest. Wish I could find one.

I became curious about the rating. Looked up the vestguard website on the internet archive and for whatever its worth this is what they said about it at the time (~2009). Not sure how or if the standard commercially sold one differed from what the afghans bought though.

vestguard 3.jpg

vestguard.jpg

vestguard 2.jpg

image.png.f4758c24614ae9a754ae5e147ba6571d.pngimage.png.2dc83a4454018e807026b07fb47a6f8b.png

And these are the tags on the soft armor inserts.  Level II threat level with a November 2007 date of manufacture.  Not going to lie, the DOM surprises me as that seems early to me.

And I did learn something new today about Level II soft armor:

Level II

Level II body armor is designed to be lightweight and still very protective. The panels protect from 9 mm Sub-Machine guns, 44 Magnums, and even 9 mm handguns. The body armor is made of multiple layers of Kevlar. The Kevlar provides a very lightweight protection option that can be worn in many different types of carriers.

The level II body armor provides ideal protection for the council workforce, officers, and even civilians. It is enough protection to ensure that someone is able to withstand an assault without having to feel weighed down by the protection. The lightweight material makes it easy to be able to run or maneuver during stressful situations and will fit into the front and back of the carrier to provide ample protection from both angles.

Source:  SafeGuard Armor

Not near as bad as I thought protection wise.  I stand corrected.