Austrian M1869 Cavalry Saber

SARGE

Gents,

I picked up a very nice Austrian Model 1869 Cavalry Saber at a local military show over the weekend. This is a private purchase example of the issue sword for Enlisted Men and NCOs. It was made by Weyersberg & Stamm in Solingen and so marked on the reverse ricasso of the blade. The obverse ricasso is marked, "Eisenhauer" or Iron Cutter indicating the high quality steel. These swords are interesting in that the sword is massive with a wide nickeled blade. The blade has a pronounced ricasso and a wide fuller on the obverse side with a flat slab side on the reverse. The nickeled steel basket guard has a rolled reinforcement along the edges with seven round drain holes and two slots for the attachment of a sword knot. The plated steel backstrap is plain with two "ears" near the basket guard. The grip is sharkskin made without wire for Enlisted Men. The nickeled steel scabbard has a suspension bar on the back near the throat and a fixed ring below the bar.

I was happy to find this sword at the show.

Austrian Cav EM Saber.JPG

Austrian Cav EM saber W&S.JPG

Austrian Cav EM saber Eisenhauer.JPG

Austrian Cav EM saber hilt.JPG

Austrian Cav EM saber hilt back.JPG

Austrian Cav EM saber guard.JPG

George,

It was really great seeing this in person at the show on Saturday. I don't think that photos accurately portray just how massive these swords really are. While it is easy to see them as heraldic and ornamental, one wouldn't be the least bit afraid to defend themselves with one if the need arose. They are about as robust as any saber from the era.

Allan

Thanks Allan, and it was good to see you at the show.  I hope you had a successful show, I know that I did.    

You know, interestingly this M1869 Cavalry saber replaced the even heavier Austrian M1858 Cavalry saber that was made of iron.  This M1869 saber was made of lighter Bessemer steel but it was still massive.  I imagine a Cavalry NCO bought this better than issue sword to set himself off from regular Troopers.  This sword heralded the combination of Light- and Heavy- Austrian Cavalry into a uniform mounted branch.  

I just happen to have an Austrian Cavalry NCO knot that will go nicely on this sword.

Austrian Cavalry knot.JPG

Hello, 

Your example seems to be a privately made example possibly for NCOs, possibly for dress/parade use. It is probably lighter weight as a result. Issue models would also have an acceptance proof (Wn - Eagle - Date) like in the photo below. 

An issue example would have this "step" between the guard and the blade which acts to reinforce the whole sword and make it more sturdy. (Image curtesy of Dorotheum, a very high resolution image can be found here). 

A standard enlisted saber knot would be leather, the NCO version is black and yellow (sometimes more of a marigold, almost orange color), so the know you have pictured would not be correct for this saber. 

1869.png

Dr.Rambow,

Thanks for the information.  This same maker (Weyersberg & Stamm) is shown on a blade of the Officer model on page 248 of Ortner & Artlieb, "With Drawn Sword Austro-Hungarian Edged Weapons 1848-1918".  They only show the more robust Enlisted swords that were items of issue as you describe.  I think there were far fewer private purchase EM swords particularly since no examples were shown in the book.  You are right about the sword knot, I grabbed the wrong photo.  What is this particular knot for?  

Here is a reply on the sword forum concerning the knot that I posted.

"The knot shown by you belongs to the period of the First Austrian Republic and has been used since 1929, but for which years, I don’t know for sure.
Until 1922 until 1929, the Austrian army used yellow knots with the symbols of the republic - the coat of arms in the form of an eagle on the stem of the knot (the place where your knot has a "herringbone").
Yellow wool for non-commissioned officers, yellow silk for cadets and officer candidates, gold for officers.
If the saber you have shown was used by the Austrian cavalry after 1929, then this knot will fit your saber.
"