RAF Eagle Squadron Movie, Costume Display

Scarecrow

Just finished this display.  It is a British RAF costume jacket worn by actor Howard Banks in the 1942 Paramount Pictures movie "Eagle Squadron" .  The movie starred Robert Stack, Eddie Albert, Nigel Bruce and Diana Barrymore. Banks is credited with playing the part of "Barker".  Also included in the display is an an original theater lobby card and a photo I took of the costume label inside of the jacket.

838380905_ESMovie.jpg.9424c7cf981562b3d5854bf3ab3c9fa2.jpg

Wow! What a super tunic! Is it possible to get close up shots of the Eagle Squadron patches and the pilot's brevet? I would assumed they were made in Hollywood for the movie rather than being English made examples.

Allan

Preppy Picker

Very well done display. I was wondering as well about the insignia, what is the boxing parrot and how you chanced upon this?

Thanks 

Prep

21 hours ago, Allan H. said:

Wow! What a super tunic! Is it possible to get close up shots of the Eagle Squadron patches and the pilot's brevet? I would assumed they were made in Hollywood for the movie rather than being English made examples.

Allan

Thanks Allan.  Would be a little difficult to pull the back off the display right now and take close up photos.  I should have thought of that before.  The brevet is definitely a prop.  The E.S. SSI are very well made.  Prior to building the display I showed them to a friend of mine who is one of the foremost people regarding the Eagle Squadrons and US 4th Fighter Group.  He seemed to think that these patches were made specifically for the movie.  So they are "of the period" E.S. patches just not made for the Eagle Squadron themselves.  You can tell that the jacket is not "real".  It's made of a different wool than originals, collar is different also some kind of a "faux" cuffs.  The buttons are prop RAF buttons made from a pot metal and painted gold, whereas original suits aircrew had black bakelite buttons.  Glad you liked seeing it, thanks again.

Paul

18 hours ago, Preppy Picker said:

Very well done display. I was wondering as well about the insignia, what is the boxing parrot and how you chanced upon this?

Thanks 

Prep

Thanks Prep.  As I mentioned to Allan above, a little difficult to get at the insignia now to take closeups.  Also the bird is not a parrot but an eagle.  The Boxing Eagle was the symbol of the Eagle Squadrons, since the squadrons were made up of Americans who volunteered to fly for the RAF/RCAF.  They were posted together in three squadrons, 71. 121 and 133.  The boxing eagle was carried over as its symbol to the US 4th Fighter Group.  Most of the 4th's early pilots were those transferred from the E.S.'s, when the US entered the war.  They transferred in September 1942.

Paul