Dealing with Velcro

gwb123

A small tip for storing and displaying Velcro backed patches:

As far back as the Vietnam era, a lot of modern militaries use Velcro backed patches for easy placement and removal. This uses a hook and loop system, with the loop portion usually sewn permanently to the uniform.

Manufacturers and shops often add the hook portion of the Velcro to the back of the patch to make them ready to use for the buyer.

The problem for collectors is the hooked material sometimes complicates storage and display. The patches with a hooked backing can often snag the threads of another patch, and sometimes pull them loose. And as far as trying to place these for display in a riker mount, they can also snag the stuffing material, making arranging them difficult.

There are two solutions that come to my mind. One is to buy corresponding loop material, cut it to shape and mount it on the back. The problem with this is cost. Also, the maximum width of the loop material is limited to 4 or 6 inches (when you can find it). This leads to a fair amount of waste as you cut the shapes out. And depending on the loop material, it can make the patches a lot thicker.

Much cheaper is to go to a hobby or fabric store and buy a half bolt of velvet material. You can cut the shapes of the patches with having less waste material depending how you place them on the fabric.

Before cutting, try attaching the Velcro covered patch to both sides of the velvet to see which side adheres better. I've found that velvet has a smooth side and a rougher side which works better.

When cutting, place the patch on the velvet material and cut around it. This works better than trying cut a shape trying to guess what will fit the patch.

If you prefer, you could also try lining the inside of the riker mount with a velvet material and adhering the patches to it. I hope this helps somebody.

Velcro.jpg

Now I have to share, when I posted this suggestion on the ASMIC Facebook Page, there was some interesting feedback:

* One reasonable idea was to make up a display board with material that the Velcro hooks would stick to.

* Another individual carefully removes the stitching that attaches the Velcro.  This was noted to be a problem if the Velcro

was glued to the patch.  It is probably quite time consuming.  Another person commented that this ruined the authenticity

of the patch, especially if the unit wore it with the Velcro attached.

* The most intriguing suggestion was to melt the Velcro hooks.  I suspect there are a number things that could go wrong 

with that.

* "I don't have time for this, and I just want to acquire more patches.  And I am not spending money on anything extra."

(My half bolt of black felt cost about $6.00 and will probably last me the next 10 years.)

Proud Kraut

I have tested the use of felt today and must say it´s a perfect solution for covering the Velcro hooks. Thanks very much for this advice, Gil!

Pa_01.jpg