Laos Parachute Jump Wings and Insignia

triplecanopy

Here is a selection of older Parachute Jump Wings and Airborne insignia from Laos. You can easily see the post WWII French influence in these wings from the Indo-China period. The cloth and metal National Direction Coordination or DNC wings are also shown. US Special Forces worked with Laotion units in the early 1960's. It is not known if there are any active airborne units in Laos today.  Some of these wings are quite beautiful especially the parachute instructor wings.

IMG_3066.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

• 7 months later...
Basic Rifleman

I just received this PARA wing from a large Laotian collection, but can't find it the B&T book or this site. I hope you don't mind me posting it here, but was wondering if anyone's seen this badge before or can confirm its authenticity.  

DSC_2892.JPG

DSC_2893.JPG

triplecanopy

It appears that your wings are a cloth version of the metal wings shown below. These wings are from a post WWII unit known as the Demi-Brigade Laos.

They were formed in 1951 and only existed until 1954. It was a Laotian unit commanded by French Officers.  Laos was part of the French Indo-China holding that eventually ended at Dien Bien Phu in 1954.

IMG_3280.JPG

Basic Rifleman

Just wow. If you haven't written a book already you should... I think we're due for an updated World Parachute badge book, and your knowledge and collection are incredible.

Thanks for the help on this one!

Here are a couple of other Laotian cloth badges and a smaller metal badge that's a bit cruder than the Drago versions above.  

DSC_2944.JPG

DSC_2945.JPG

Skysoldier80
On 4/26/2023 at 3:44 PM, Basic Rifleman said:

Just wow. If you haven't written a book already you should... I think we're due for an updated World Parachute badge book, and your knowledge and collection are incredible.

Thanks for the help on this one!

Here are a couple of other Laotian cloth badges and a smaller metal badge that's a bit cruder than the Drago versions above.  

DSC_2944.JPG

DSC_2945.JPG

There is a Laotian Airborne Association part of the South Carolina State Guard.  Their wings are authorized to wear by the US Army today. 5/6 are present made ones for that association.