203 mm Self-Propelled Gun 2S7 ´PION´

Proud Kraut

It´s high time to start a new modeling project. Subject is the ongoing war in Europe and, one more time, Artillery. I have chosen the 1/35 scale Trumpeter kit of the former Soviet 203 mm SP-Gun 2S7, called PION (peony). This extraordinary artillery system was developed in the 1970´s and distributed to several nations. It´s still in use, in the Russia-Ukraine war on both sides. I will build the Ukrainian variant. The 2S7 kit consists of more than 1000 parts, it´s gonna be a long time project. To build the crew of 7 I ordered two sets of MasterBox Ukrainian soldiers in addition. Some pictures of the boxart and the sprues.

2s7-01.jpg

2s7-02.jpg

2s7-03.jpg

I see you have MasterBox's kits. I just received an email from MegaHobby with that kit in its listings. They should be very good figures. MB always makes some very good figures that you can change around if you want to.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

Tracks completed. I glued the tracks on the wheels but the wheels not on the hull so I can remove them for painting.

2s7-07.jpg

2s7-08.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have completed the gun. Did I tell you that the model seems to have more parts than the original one. Anway it´s gonna be a real monster.

2s7-09.jpg

2s7-10.jpg

2s7-11.jpg

I like how the gun and breech section came out. One question; regarding your idler wheel. It looks different (lower) than what is on the box art. Was that how it's supposed to be?

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thanks for your kind feedback!

You have sharp eyes, my friend. I have learned that one of the features of this SPH is that the idler wheels are lowered in firing position to improve the gun´s stabiliy when firing (Another interesting feature is the automatic acoustic firing alarm to caution the crew before firing). So the idler wheels could be build in driving or firing position here. I choosed the firing position.

I nearly completed the building of the gun. Now off to the paintshop.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

2s7-12.jpg

2s7-13.jpg

2s7-14.jpg

2s7-15.jpg

2 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

Thanks for your kind feedback!

You have sharp eyes, my friend. I have learned that one of the features of this SPH is that the idler wheels are lowered in firing position to improve the gun´s structure when firing (Another interesting feature is the automatic acoustic firing alarm to caution the crew before firing). So the idler wheels could be build in driving or firing position here. I choosed the firing position.

I nearly completed the building of the gun. Now off to the paintshop.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

2s7-12.jpg

2s7-13.jpg

2s7-14.jpg

2s7-15.jpg

Aaaaaahhhh!

Semper Fi. 

Manny 

Nice work. That black primer and grey pre-shading really brings out the wear in that first green coat. 

Semper Fi.

Manny

The Pion after applying some more layers of base color, washes, drybrushing and detail painting. The kit has no Ukrainian decals so I added the national colors on both sides. I have found many photos of Ukrainian vehicles with these markings online.

2s7-20.jpg

2s7-21.jpg

Hey Lars, I like the detail painting and drybrushing. But I really like the Ukraine national colors. 

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thank you all very much for your kind feedback! The Pion now united with it´s tracks and further details. After taking the pictures I noticed that I forgot the antenna and the broken ladder on the left side. I have to correct this finally before I start with adding (decent) dirt.

2s7-22.jpg

2s7-23.jpg

2s7-24.jpg

2s7-24a.jpg

2s7-25.jpg