Luftwaffe headgear display

MattS

Some of the cheapest yet best looking military headgear out there, West German Luftwaffe. I probably have under $100 in all 5 hats, and I started picking up examples in the 1980s for $1-5. 

C3F3322D-ABFA-44EF-8DEC-4C050E14A59A.jpeg

Thanks Brian! I got the idea online after seeing displays using the nation's flag as a backdrop, and this one was only $5!

I don't have much EG/NVA headgear actually, and I don't think any of the ones I have are air force. 

Thanks guys! I don't know why there isn't more interest in West German Luftwaffe items, they were literally on the front line of the Cold War for decades flying F-104s and F-4s right up against the Iron Curtain.

It's interesting to note that the post-war Luftwaffe officer caps use the same style of embroidery on the visor as the WW2 German Kriegsmarine (scalloping for junior officers and oak leaves for senior officers) only in silver instead of gold. 

WGerman hats.jpg

The visor embroidery for officers and staff officers was introduced by all branches of the Bundeswehr, Army and Navy as well.. Great Schirmmuetzen!

10 minutes ago, Proud Kraut said:

The visor embroidery for officers and staff officers was introduced by all branches of the Bundeswehr, Army and Navy as well.. Great Schirmmuetzen!

Thanks! I thought it odd that they used the Kriegsmarine pattern as both Heer and Luftwaffe officer caps during WW2 had plain black visors regardless of rank. The one carry over from the WW2 Luftwaffe is the use of gold cap insignia for general officers (although with the KM admiral pattern of double oak leaves) as seen on this general flanked by 2 colonels. 

WG air force.jpg

easterneagle87
23 hours ago, MattS said:

Thanks! I thought it odd that they used the Kriegsmarine pattern as both Heer and Luftwaffe officer caps during WW2 had plain black visors regardless of rank. The one carry over from the WW2 Luftwaffe is the use of gold cap insignia for general officers (although with the KM admiral pattern of double oak leaves) as seen on this general flanked by 2 colonels. 

WG air force.jpg

Interesting the COL on the left wears either USAF Master Pilot or Navigator below maybe German Para wings(?) above his right breast pocket AND the other on the right is wearing a US Sharpshooter qualification badge on this right pocket.  Great to see these awards on other country's officers.  

Elements of German Luftwaffe pilots training take place in the USA. Many pilots earned their wings then. The exchange of marksman/sharpshooter award is still common practice over here. Many U.S. soldiers got their Schuetzenschnur during these common shooting events.