Afrika Korps - Panzer IV Ausf. G

Proud Kraut

Back in the desert again. I think I built my last Panzer IV more than 20 years ago so it´s high time again. I found this (new released) Tamiya 1/35 scale Pz IV last year. Not thousends of tiny parts but 7 sprues only. In addition a nice set of 5 figures. You´d better watch out, Matilda!

Pz4-01.jpg

Pz4-02.jpg

Pz4-03.jpg

Pz4-04.jpg

Cool. This looks like a very nice build. Unfortunately, the decal sheet has only 215 as the tank number. But of course you can make it any number you want, and I like the 'fresh water' jerrican crosses. I like the 5 figures that came with the kit, especially the two turret crewmen, Loader & Gunner. Usually you only got the T/C and driver. So this is a post I will be following. Good luck Lars.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thanks very much friends! Actually I´m building the chassis with the wheels. As usual with Tamiya models a trouble-free work.

Pz4-05.jpg

Proud Kraut

I completed the tracks today. The tool that came with the model was very usefull to make the track tension look realistic.

Pz4-06.jpg

Pz4-07.jpg

Pz4-08.jpg

That looks great. Hopefully my next Panzer build will have one of those tools.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Step No. 1. Primer is German Panzer grey, the color German tanks were painted with before they received the AK camo painting.

PzIV-14.jpg

PzIV-15.jpg

Now that is one good looking Pzkpfw IV ausf. G. Looking forward to that Desert Yellow and equipment paint job, along with the weathering and figures.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

The long barrel. Please check out the site you linked in post No. 7, chapter "Name". As far as I have understood these were designated F2 first and later redesignated as Ausf. G.

Painting the model, step 2: A first layer of RAL 8020 DAK camo brown.

PzIV-16.jpg

Nice work on that paint job Lars. The dark primer really lends to the shadowing of the tank. As for the designation of this tank, I remember that the ausf E & F were both short barrelled L24 75mm main guns. The F2 was introduced with the L43 longer gun and round muzzle brake, later it was redesignated ausf G and then the double baffle muzzle brake was introduced. The ausf H had a longer L48 75mm main gun. Just my 2 cents.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 1 month later...
Proud Kraut

Sorry for the late reply, Manny. I think you are spot-on with your explanation. High time to post some new WIP photos. After applying the decals I have started to weather the model.

PzIV-18.jpg

PzIV-19.jpg

Great work Lars!  That’s a really nice job.  I agree with Manny the gray under coat really sets off the model.  It gives it great depth.  Beautiful work.

Nice work Lars. The extra track links, the sand bags and equipment really lend to the look of this Pzkw IV. I'm looking forward seeing the remaining weathering of this tank, on North Africa and its crew.

Proud Kraut

Thanks guys! I´m working on the desert dust. It´s a time-consuming procedure. Applying the pigments (a mix of "Sand" and "North Africa Dust" by MIG). Washing off parts of it to make it look realistic etc. etc. However, a massive use of dust isn´t unrealistic as far as I have seen vintage photographs. Still working on it.

Pz IV_21.jpg

Pz IV_21a.jpg

Pz IV_22.jpg

Nice weathering Lars. I thought you might've gone overboard with the N. African dust and Sand, but you were spot on. It looks like your Pzkw IV got caught in a sand storm.

All the wartime photos I've seen of the Afrika Korps tanks look just like yours.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 2 weeks later...
Proud Kraut

The Panzer IV was finished yesterday. Finaly I reduced the pigments/dust a little bit. The figures fit excellent in their positions. I added some details and the 5th crew member (radio operator) who wasn´t with the kit. Here are the final pictures. Thanks to everybody for looking and thanks for your kind feedback!

PzIV_23.jpg

PzIV_24.jpg

PzIV_25.jpg

PzIV_26.jpg

PzIV_27.jpg