Spetnaz GRU Patch

Milihfra

Hello all,

I got this patch a few weeks ago. I don't really collect Soviet or Russian militaria but I do collect special forces stuff in general so I figured I would pick this up. My question about this patch specifically is, is it actually worn by the Russian Military currently or is it more so made in Russia for collectors international and otherwise? I have seen 1 other Spetnaz GRU patch claiming to come out of Ukraine but it was Subdued. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

8765DF7C-72FE-4083-9E34-9F1D0EE2D9AC.jpeg

29A86438-B264-46D4-8D1B-E01DBCCF164B.jpeg

• 1 month later...

hello,

I will take a stab at this.  I will say I have a personal and familial interest in what is happening in world events.  I have been assembling a collection on the current war.  I would say I have a fairly large and advanced collection, comparatively speaking.  Also, I have been studying R u s s i a n   G R U and P M C patches for years.  

So patches like this were available to almost anyone.  They were selling patches like this from R u s s i a n sellers on ebay before the war.  I meant to order several patches as training aids.  I did not get to it before Feb 2022.  It would sort of like if someone wanted to buy a tactical morale patch.  Anyone can buy one.  But unless you know it was worn in a certain place you will never know.

I can say that both sides do like tactical morale patches/military patches.  I have seen a massive variety.  Everything in my collection comes from the battlefields and it gets sent direct to me.  I save the packages to prove in the future where each item came from.

I have noticed prices for patches like W a g n e r are pretty high.   I suspect these are already being faked.  So unless you know where exactly it came from you will never know.  I do not even have a W a g n e r patch in my collection as I have yet to have been unable to secure one via my network.  I am pretty confident other higher priced patches like the Chechen patches are also already being faked.

S p e t s n a z and G R U love the 'Batman' style bat.  Now it is more of an 'unofficial' insignia.  I have a lighter taken off the battlefield with this same insignia.  I forgot where but it was taken in early 2022.  I think it came from Kherson.  I have it written down somewhere.

I have seen similar patches as yours being worn there, but I would suspect on a limited basis. I used to go on patrol with a unit in the Middle East that would have been a prize for the enemy.  We never advertised who we were with actual unit patches.  We wore BS morale patches.  I would think a lot of S p e t n a z wear a more generic morale type patch.  But there is always 'that guy' who has to advertise the 'cool' team, etc. 

I have also seen the modern G R U insignia worn there though I suspect it is not common.  I do not have a patch like yours in my collection.  But like I mentioned, I only accept things direct.   I do not want to contaminate my collection by not doing my due diligence as to its source.  Most things I would say coming from sellers out of            U k r a i n e   are good.   But I would be careful with patches.  Patches are easy to make/copy.  So a $2 remake/fake can be listed for ~ $100 to $150, etc.  Hence, I think it is already happening.

Plus, in all the years I spent in the Middle East I designed, and commissioned dozens of military related patches.  Literally anyone can order them.  And these technical machines can turn out stellar patches just based on a picture alone.  My average cost was $2 to $5, depending on quantity. So technically I could easily have my own S p e t n a z patch made and it would be very similar to this.  

Patches will be problematic in the future in my opinion.  And there are legit variants of variants as well.  A lot of these types of patches have been made by various makers for years and years. 

I have had dozens of packages sent from there.  it can take awhile for packages to arrive in the US, but generally the item will get here.  I have only lost one package and I believe I know why.  It was not due to being stolen or lost, etc.

Anyway from what I have seen, I would assess your patch was made in like the last 5 to 15 years.  But that is just a guess based on my experience.  I do not believe it was made in the last couple of years.  It has an 'older' type feel, in my humble opinion. I might even say your patch could be up to 20 years old.  

But to answer your question,  I have seen your style of patch (like your blue one) being worn there.  I just don't think it is commonly done.

Anyway I saw no one had answered your post so I figured I would share what I know and understand.  I hope this helps.  Good luck with your collecting finds!