1957 Luftwaffe Flakkampfabzeichen.

S.ChrisKelly

Proud Kraut

Very interesting. If my files are correct, during WW II maker "43" was "Julius Bauer Söhne" from Zella-Mehlis. Situated in Thuringia, East Germany / GDR they didn´t make any Bundeswehr or 1957er medals for sure during the cold war. Either it´s a denazified piece or the number 43 was used by a different maker after the war. Thanks for sharing!

S.ChrisKelly

When I took a second look, I can guarantee that it's not de-nazified.  However, when I apply some pressure, the metal bends.  It's not really hard, solid metal like many of the reproductions.  Is this correct metallurgy?  I am beginning to think it may be an older, well-made reproduction.

Can we see a side view of the hinge block?  Is it a closed one-piece or a hollow block?  Frankly I don't like the eagle or the way it is attached.  The "rivets" appear to just be stubs (sprue perhaps)  from the casting of the eagle.  

S.ChrisKelly

Images as follows:

1) top of the hinge.

2) reverse of the hinge.

3) top of the hinge, oblique.

4) bottom of the eagle - this badge has not been de-nazified, and looks cast, not struck/stamped.

5) obverse view as compared with a fairly well-made reproduction.

6) reverse view of above. "W.H." is the hallmark of Wilhelm Hobacher of Vienna.

20230502_115749.jpg

20230502_115822.jpg

20230502_115847.jpg

20230502_115955.jpg

20230502_115901.jpg

20230502_115919.jpg

Proud Kraut

I´m lightyears away from being a medal expert by any means. I´m just the caretaker of some WH/Bw Veteran´s 1957 medals so I´m really interested in any information. I did some more research concerning the maker "43" and learned that one of Julius Bauer´s sons moved to Western Germany in 1951 where here established a new business. Could it be that he made modified (cast) copies of his own medals, matching the 1957 regulations? I´m asking because I can´t imagine that "fake" 1957 medals were made in the 1970s?