Imperial German Army, 1914 - colorized footage

Gunner87

I'm sure a number of our members will have seen this incredible footage before but for those that haven't I thought it maybe of some interest.

In addition to the clarity and detail shown in the short clip it also made me think how many of these young men, considering the year is 1914, survived the war.

Gunner87

Thanks you for showing us this Gunner.  I had not seen it before, and was mesmerized by it.  As with you, I couldn't help be thinking how many of them survived the war and other thoughts as well.  I did look for Corporal Himmelstoss though, but couldn't see him.

Steve

17 minutes ago, themick said:

Thanks you for showing us this Gunner.  I had not seen it before, and was mesmerized by it.  As with you, I couldn't help be thinking how many of them survived the war and other thoughts as well.  I did look for Corporal Himmelstoss though, but couldn't see him.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I've watched it quite a few times now and these guys are young and all Infantry / Guards so will be heading straight for the front line..... of note, as I'm sure you know, Germany mobilised 11 million men between 1914 and 1918 with 2,037,000 killed. Not great odds!!!

1 hour ago, Gunner87 said:

Thanks Steve. I've watched it quite a few times now and these guys are young and all Infantry / Guards so will be heading straight for the front line..... of note, as I'm sure you know, Germany mobilised 11 million men between 1914 and 1918 with 2,037,000 killed. Not great odds!!!

Really fascinating for me was looking at the faces/expressions of these young men marching