604 (County of Middlesex) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force

Gunner87

I thought to share this photograph of my Grandfather and other personnel from 604 (County of Middlesex) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force taken in 1940 or '41 at North Weald Aerodrome, Essex, South East England. 

The Royal Auxiliary Air Force operated on a similar basis to the National Guard in the US until 1939 when the Second World. War began at which point the squadron became like any other full time unit. 

604 were primarily a night fighter squadron and as such in 1940 their aeroplanes were fitted with VHF Radiotelephones which greatly improved air to air and air to ground communication. The planes were also equipped with Airborne Interception (AI) Radar which assisted aircrews locating German bombers at night. The squadron fought in the Battle for France, Battle of Britain, Home Defence, Fortress Europe, Normandy and France and Germany. 

Between 1939 and 1945 604 flew Bristol Blenheims, Gloucester Gladiators, Bristol Beaufighters, de Havilland Mosquitos and Supermarine Spitfires.

IMG_4780.jpeg

Thank you for sharing this great photo of your grnadfather and his comrades from the 604th Sqn. I find it interesting that as an Auxiliiary Squdaron, that none of the officers are wearing "VR" collar devices. Of course, it is too difficult to disceern whether the OR's in the photo have the VR titles below their "hawk" signs.

I'd love to see any additional photos that you care to share.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan H. said:

Thank you for sharing this great photo of your grnadfather and his comrades from the 604th Sqn. I find it interesting that as an Auxiliiary Squdaron, that none of the officers are wearing "VR" collar devices. Of course, it is too difficult to disceern whether the OR's in the photo have the VR titles below their "hawk" signs.

I'd love to see any additional photos that you care to share.

Allan

Hi Allan.

Thank you for your comment and interest. This is my Grandfather as a Corporal and he does not appear to have VR below the hawk.....

Gunner

D3B9DD7F-326E-44D3-95F4-A87B65C6B159.png.1be1cbc79c6e6b9c96dd860bf630859b.png

3 hours ago, Allan H. said:

I'd love to see any additional photos that you care to share

This is 604 NCO's and OR's....

D59DA374-32CB-413A-B24C-7A30E5D40384.jpeg

Thank you very much for sharing your photos. Your grandfather looked rather rakish with the side cap placed at a "jaunty angle!"

I should have thought about the Auxilliary portion of the squadron title a bit more. I had a friend who flew as a pilot in an "South Africa" Squadron. The man was not South African, and I recall him telling me that to his knowledge, there wasn't a South African in the entire outfit. His navigator was a New Zealander.

I believe that the titles were given to squadrons to potentially confuse enemy intelligence. One might consider flying combat against an "auxilliary squadron" that they may not be a first echelon unit. Imagine leading a squadron of bombers into British airspace only to meet up with top shelf pilots coming against you. It would surely hurt morale if you thought they were the second team! 

Best Regards!

Allan