Australian p.08 gear...

skinsfan

Hello,I picked up this nice set of ammo pouches and am wondering if there is anyone who sells the other parts to complete the set please..Also would it be incorrect to use British or other UK marked pieces??....Scott

DSCN2915.JPG

DSCN2916.JPG

DSCN2918.JPG

tankengine888

So, as far as my reckoning goes, that's some Pattern 1915 Australian Leather Gear. Quoting the AWM..

British manufacturers of the pattern 1908 web equipment struggled to keep up with the logistical demands of an expanding army. In late 1915, Australia’s answer to a webbing shortage was found in the Commonwealth Government Harness Factory (C.G.H.F) and its contractors, whom began manufacturing its own version of the Pattern 1908 equipment in leather. The Pattern 1915 Leather Equipment replicated the original 1908 design.

Production in Australia began in late 1915 and drew to a close in late 1918. Over the four year period 178,000 complete sets of the 1915 Leather Equipment were made in Australia, in a variety of colours and finishes. The Commonwealth Government Harness Factory manufactured the greatest number of complete sets (118,000) at Clifton Hill, Melbourne.

The Pattern 1915 Leather Equipment was mainly used during the early stages of the war on the Western Front, and for training in Australia. However, it was found to be insufficient in wet conditions, uncomfortable and the leather stretched over time. The leather versions were not as water resistant as Pattern 1908 cotton webbing, and required higher maintenance. In wet weather, the brass buckles slipped, and adjusting the straps while wearing it proved difficult. Due to these design flaws, Pattern 1915 Leather Equipment was replaced with the 1908 web equipment as it became available.

What you need is a Leather belt, ET pouch, canteen, shoulder straps, etc. Can't help much else.

**being Australian made [and only for 3 years], I doubt you'll have too much luck finding original leather gear as, as stated above, it was not very practical. I don't think it would hurt to add British leather ontop, however I think they didn't use P1915 Leather, picking a canvas or cotton type of webbing instead.

image.png.89251dcbccdb4b2c258f790a67fa954f.png

Zidane.

21 hours ago, skinsfan said:

many thanks...it looks like a combination in the photo...Scott

Hi skinsfan.

Great purchase and thanks for sharing. I've been looking for straps and other component parts online but there doesn't seem to be any available as Zidane suggested there wouldn't be. What I did find was a reproduction Australian 1915 Pattern Leather Equipment Set sold by a US Company 'WhatPriceGlory.com'. The ammo pouches look slightly different but are in the same two over three configuration. Maybe an email to the company to confirm yours will fit would iron that out. For some reason I cant copy and paste the link but the complete set is reduced from $350 to $195.

Best regards

Gunner ...

F381CC81-6F5D-406B-A3C4-60D139A1FD6B.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Only joined up today, so please forgive the late reply.

Details of the Pattern 1915 equipment can be found here:  http://www.karkeeweb.com/1915main.html 

Your pouches are only compatible with the Pat 15 equipment (rare and expensive), the other bits are mostly still available (especially the water-bottle cradles), the only piece that is pretty much unobtainable is the helve holder (which connects to the frog), I only know of one in existence.

As mentioned above, the equipment wasn't popular and used mainly for training, however it did have a long service life, being used up to and including WW2. 

The Pat 15 has been long neglected among collectors, but like everything else WW1 is fetching high prices now. I put a set together years ago, after I'd put together sets of Pat 03 and Pat 08 and the collecting bug was still biting... I'm still looking for that Pat 15 helve holder!

Regards,

Dan