Is TR stuff hard to find in California?

Gear Fanatic

Gear Fanatic

I am a relatively new collector so I don’t have a big budget or even a small budget, but I have noticed after going to Kentucky to visit family that ww2 era TR stuff and US stuff seems to just be laying around for cheap. And here in California it seems rare and a lot more expensive. I am just curious if anyone knows why there is a price difference or more supply in different places especially in California where I live, thanks for any input!

-Gear Fanatic 

Prices on the West Coast and East Coast seem to be higher that those in the Midwest, or South. I don't think it is because of an abundance of items or lack there of, but the Economic situations of the areas. Wages and prices seem higher on the East and West coasts on everything. The European buyers have to come over hear to buy the stuff, because our Soldiers brought home everything that was not nailed down. This means they will pay higher prices because of the scarcity of the items in Europe. This is an entirely different situation directly tied to availability of items here and in Europe. It all boils down to what someone is willing, and able to pay for an item that they want. Dave

Gear Fanatic

That is a good point. I also notice down here that auctions seem to go higher in different areas pointing to just who wants it the most.

There is also the "socio/poli" side of it- California is much more "left leaning" and with that can come some anti military sentiments (and the TR stuff is definitely a no-no in many places). So less stuff around, can equate to higher prices for what is there. I asked in some antique shops if they had anything and was told " we don't carry that kind of thing here" - the one guy was aghast when I found  a 1933 "Ja!" election button in his $1 bin...

Preppy Picker

There is plenty of stuff in CA you just have to find it. I lived in SoCal for several years recently and I found plenty of stuff reasonably priced but I was out all the time looking and asking. I’m retired and it’s all I do, pick.

Gear Fanatic
23 hours ago, Mr.Jerry said:

There is also the "socio/poli" side of it- California is much more "left leaning" and with that can come some anti military sentiments (and the TR stuff is definitely a no-no in many places). So less stuff around, can equate to higher prices for what is there. I asked in some antique shops if they had anything and was told " we don't carry that kind of thing here" - the one guy was aghast when I found  a 1933 "Ja!" election button in his $1 bin...

Yah you don’t carry it huh….lol

On 7/26/2023 at 4:04 PM, Gear Fanatic said:

I am a relatively new collector so I don’t have a big budget or even a small budget, but I have noticed after going to Kentucky to visit family that ww2 era TR stuff and US stuff seems to just be laying around for cheap. And here in California it seems rare and a lot more expensive. I am just curious if anyone knows why there is a price difference or more supply in different places especially in California where I live, thanks for any input!

-Gear Fanatic 

I'm yet to find a place where TR stuff is consistently cheap, unless you're speaking comparatively 

Keep in mind, there's also less and less of it out there. It has been highly collected and sought after for decades...pretty much since the war ended...so the woodwork finds are fewer and further between, though I did just stumble on this little lot a few days ago...so the stuff is still out there if your timing is lucky enough

IMG_20230728_183534909.jpg