A few timepieces from the battle of Britan used by the RAF.

River Rat1

A few RAF timepieces from the time of the battle of Britan. A RAF mess clock with an Elliott fusse movement with a 1939 date mark. And maybe the first Waltham in WW2. A RAF issued 6B/159 wristwatch but later in the war reclassified to a 6B/234 with a issued mark of 1940 has a Waltham 470 movement and a Dennison case.

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

Very fun to see, thanks for sharing! Love seeing the mess clock! About how tall is it? Does it chime? Would these have been in a certain place?

There about 14 inches tall. This has a replacement door in the back, but the price was fair and got someone willing to ship to the USA. The larger wall models I could not get any one to ship to the USA but found one in the USA will post that one of these days. The movement fusse has a chain drive like movement time only no chime. Later in the war they went to a cheaper none fusse movement. They were used in the chief's mess and offices there's one in the prime minister's residence during the war still might be there saw a photo of it on the mantle.

A shot of the movement.

ua4JljD.jpg

o5RaJyg.jpg

Case back with issue information on back of the Waltham. You can see later that watch was changed from a 159 to 234. This has also been done by the Bundeswehr on my Heuer Bund chronograph pilots watch same on its case back. I guess when they reclassify a piece of equipment. You can see the issued date 1940 and the issue number. AM stands for British Air Ministry. The watch also has solid lugs on the case.

fJ5UP6O.jpg

Better shot of the watch and case back. Got the watch cheap at a NAWCC mart no one knew what to make of it. Someone at MWR forum PM me ask to use my photo's he was doing a write up on these he had the military specs of it everything correct even the crown on mine. Someone not thinking legit was my gain. Just a rare watch not seen much.

aaMiW8z.jpg

gISs8Co.jpg