WW2 RAF wall clock

River Rat1

Here is another RAF clock in the collection. Could not get anyone in England who was selling one want to ship one due to its size to the USA but found one in the USA on ebay had to talk him into shipping it too far for a local pick-up and a great price glad no one local to him wanted it. There a very large clock I got mine hanging on a stud in the wall. This was issued in 1941 made by Elliott with a 8-day fusse movement. On the back of the dial has ST. Athans a RAF base also 1944 a screen shot from the movie Battle of Briton with one on the wall in the movie.

jwnAQnu.jpg

ULRALH9.jpg

n61NHzv.jpg

KviLHT9.jpg

13J9SSPd.jpg

YQMz9Ur.jpg

K23F7De.jpg

2SW8h25.jpg

5 hours ago, River Rat1 said:

Here is another RAF clock in the collection. Could not get anyone in England who was selling one want to ship one due to its size to the USA but found one in the USA on ebay had to talk him into shipping it too far for a local pick-up and a great price glad no one local to him wanted it. There a very large clock I got mine hanging on a stud in the wall. This was issued in 1941 made by Elliott with a 8-day fusse movement. On the back of the dial has ST. Athans a RAF base also 1944 a screen shot from the movie Battle of Briton with one on the wall in the movie.

jwnAQnu.jpg

ULRALH9.jpg

n61NHzv.jpg

KviLHT9.jpg

13J9SSPd.jpg

YQMz9Ur.jpg

K23F7De.jpg

2SW8h25.jpg

Hi River Rat1

Thanks for sharing that. 

I thought you might be interested in this which was given to me a few years back and that I now keep my loose change in.... I believe it is a butter dish from RAF Hendon Officers Mess dated 1940. The mess still stands but is now accommodation for Middlesex University with the aerodrome currently home to the RAF Museum. 

You may also like the second artefect which was gift only a few months back.

We were informed by the previous owner the propeller was broken when the two Vickers machine guns on the shipsboard Sopwith Camel, belonging to the Royal Naval Air Service, were being synchronised. 

Gunner ...

178BB76F-F4FA-49E9-93F0-FAF49017EA9B.jpeg

4865AEE0-D7F8-47AD-91F1-7B5183021BCB.jpeg

685EE4EA-0A82-48C2-B90D-1F52F4D2C60A.jpeg

34A18E2C-BF89-4A0C-96B3-383252C20759.jpeg

8A498AFA-C14F-4C4A-A50B-593BED6E0F0D_4_5005_c.jpeg

6CA263A1-6078-4A17-B2B8-F6371BA37A34.jpeg

That propeller cool hope he was not in the air when the synchronization gear stopped working.  My Grandfather got on the ground floor of US navy aviation in WW1. Went on to battle ships later ships like the USS West Virgina and the USS New Mexico where they used catapults to put the aircraft into the air for reconnaissance like that aircraft your propeller came off of.

Gunner I bet finding cool stuff over there in London great. I only made it once to Heathrow airport on my way to the middle east we had no time to leave the airport was transferring to Gulf Air going to Bahrain.

17 minutes ago, River Rat1 said:

Gunner I bet finding cool stuff over there in London great.

There are certainly many treasures coming to light as, sadly, the World War Two generation are passing on and their relatives want to give away or sell their wartime bring backs.

This was gifted last year, a Britsol B17 mid upper gun turret cupola for an Avro Lincoln, the last of the RAF's four piston engine bombers. Incredibly it was being used as a 'green house' in an old gentlemen's back garden....

30E29B8C-D110-4367-8290-5C340E46E655_4_5005_c.jpeg

8CB1A911-A5F0-4B0A-A5AD-B4CC4E40905E.jpeg

Your right sooner or later there will be no living memories of WW2, lost my dad in 2014 he lied about his age was 16 my grandpa was in the Navy at the time and helped him. He was a flight engineer on PBY and later on Avengers torpedo aircraft as a turret gunner. Lucky, he told me a little bit should have bothered him more. Also was in the squadron that took after your dam busters of WW2 they used a torpedo to blow a dam in the Korean war then he went to Vietnam they broke the mold with him. Believe this the actor Robert Stack of the TV show the untouchables was a gunnery officer at a school that taught gunnery for a school for avenger aircraft and taught my dad on twin machine guns they had these twin machines in a turret on railroad tracks to move them like there in the air.

3 hours ago, River Rat1 said:

Your right sooner or later there will be no living memories of WW2, lost my dad in 2014 he lied about his age was 16 my grandpa was in the Navy at the time and helped him. He was a flight engineer on PBY and later on Avengers torpedo aircraft as a turret gunner. Lucky, he told me a little bit should have bothered him more. Also was in the squadron that took after your dam busters of WW2 they used a torpedo to blow a dam in the Korean war then he went to Vietnam they broke the mold with him.

That's a very respectable service record. I shall look up the US Squadron that attacked the dam in the Korean War. I have a particular interest in the Dam Busters as when I was a kid I went to the RAF Museum with my Grandfather who was ex WW2 RAF and he pointed out a group of middle aged gents and told me and my brother to go and ask for their signatures. They all obliged but I didn't actually realise how special the group were. It was the 40th Anniversary Reunion of the Dam Busters Raid.  Managed to lose one of the sheets of paper but luckily had a photocopy. Still have one original. Posted before but thought you'd like to see them.....

Chat again River Rat :) 

ps my Grandfather was a RAF Gunnery Instructor and worked in one of the domes like the one attached at Pembrey Airfield, Carmarthenshire. Image courtesy of Hywel Williams. 

4253A2F5-2239-42F0-AEE9-A62E2D2B47AC.jpeg

15AA7FC2-963F-4020-A71D-9989D00B4B3C.jpeg

6BADA997-4941-4CA7-B0A4-9A83944507C9.jpeg

• 2 months later...
Charlie Flick

That is a very impressive RAF clock.  Lotta history there.

Do you have an RAF Sector Clock in your collection?  I have always thought that was a handsome clock and briefly searched for one years ago but never found one that I thought was both legit and affordable.

If you have any other RAF clocks I would love to see them posted here.

Thanks.

Charlie