How much does it cost for cloth ww2 insignia?

Gear Fanatic

Gear Fanatic

I curious as to what the cost is for a cut off or NOS  pieces of  cloth insignia, either an eagle, a chevron, collar tabs hat insignia, shoulder boards etc. just to get a general idea of a price and interesting/sought after pieces to be after. Thanks in advance!

-Gear fanatic

Price all depends on what the item is. Cloth insignia can vary based on what you are looking at as well as condition. SS collar tabs are a minefield and can be very expensive, upwards of $500 and more, as well as cloth SS eagles and Totenkopf's. Cloth Armbands (Volksturm, and some of the more common) can be fairly inexpensive $60 more or less, again depending on condition and in some cases the knowledge of the seller. They may not know the prices as everyone is not linked into the internet, although the vast majority of folks have a general idea of asking prices. Sports Shirts insignia for the Army and Luftwaffe may run about $30-60, RAD and DAF sports shirt insignia maybe around $50, and SS sports shirt insignia $250-300 and up (Depending on if you find it at a Dealer site). 

It seems in some cases that cut off breast and sleeve eagles bring a little more money when there is a piece of the uniform still attached to the insignia, Especially SS sleeve insignia (But these items can be easily attached to a piece of fake uniform and or the cloth itself is fake, so you have to be cautious and know what you are looking at) 

Shoulder boards can vary in prices as well.. Hitler Youth Shoulder Boards for example may sell for $80 for a pair, and a set of SS shoulder boards for a signal unit $350.00. 

There are just so many variables. The best thing to do is ask before purchasing and possibly post photos of potential items you wish to purchase and the asking prices.

Some folks with limited budgets will shop around before pulling the trigger on something. One other thing to remember is that quality over quantity should be considered.

Some may purchase a very desirable Tinnie for example due to the rarity or manufacturer even if it has a broken pin on the back for pennies until one of the same type and maker comes along and they will spend more money to replace the "filler" in the collection. Has happened to me many times when I purchased an item to have in the collection as a filler until a better example comes along and then I can remove the "filler". 

Leigh 

Gear Fanatic

😮

What about eagles, that is what I am specifically looking for, breast eagles, hat eagles, Luftwaffe, Heer kriegmarine, NO SS!

what prices will I be looking at fir those?

5 hours ago, Rakkasan187 said:

Price all depends on what the item is. Cloth insignia can vary based on what you are looking at as well as condition. SS collar tabs are a minefield and can be very expensive, upwards of $500 and more, as well as cloth SS eagles and Totenkopf's. Cloth Armbands (Volksturm, and some of the more common) can be fairly inexpensive $60 more or less, again depending on condition and in some cases the knowledge of the seller. They may not know the prices as everyone is not linked into the internet, although the vast majority of folks have a general idea of asking prices. Sports Shirts insignia for the Army and Luftwaffe may run about $30-60, RAD and DAF sports shirt insignia maybe around $50, and SS sports shirt insignia $250-300 and up (Depending on if you find it at a Dealer site). 

It seems in some cases that cut off breast and sleeve eagles bring a little more money when there is a piece of the uniform still attached to the insignia, Especially SS sleeve insignia (But these items can be easily attached to a piece of fake uniform and or the cloth itself is fake, so you have to be cautious and know what you are looking at) 

Shoulder boards can vary in prices as well.. Hitler Youth Shoulder Boards for example may sell for $80 for a pair, and a set of SS shoulder boards for a signal unit $350.00. 

There are just so many variables. The best thing to do is ask before purchasing and possibly post photos of potential items you wish to purchase and the asking prices.

Some folks with limited budgets will shop around before pulling the trigger on something. One other thing to remember is that quality over quantity should be considered.

Some may purchase a very desirable Tinnie for example due to the rarity or manufacturer even if it has a broken pin on the back for pennies until one of the same type and maker comes along and they will spend more money to replace the "filler" in the collection. Has happened to me many times when I purchased an item to have in the collection as a filler until a better example comes along and then I can remove the "filler". 

Leigh 

Gear Fanatic

Yep just looked at that, I am liking the look and and price of a Luftwaffe cap or breast eagle, I think those are a good option for a 20-40 dollar range. Thanks guys any other comments are welcome!

-Gear fanatic

Just make sure you know who and what you are purchasing and from whom. There are many known fake breast eagles out there, so ask questions and possibly get a few pictures, (front and back) to have it vetted here. Since you are younger, many will take advantage of that. 

Also you can rely on the members here that are selling items that they are honest and offer guarantees on what they sell. 

Leigh 

Gear Fanatic

That is why I have been looking around on the forum trying to get as much information under my belt as possible. Buying from other members has also been a good experience on here, I have already had a couple transactions with othe members on the USMF and O have been delighted with the outcome. I try to look through books more than doing research on the internet because you never know if some items are real or fake there, in a book are usually sure they are real, thanks for the comments and other advice that I have received!

Gear Fanatic

I have had situations at shows where they tried to take at vantage of me, mostly with US stuff but since I usually research something before I buy it or while I’m looking for it I am usually able to steer clear of that. One time at a show they were trying to tell me that an m3 trench knife on a scabbard with a grommet and metal tip protector was ww2, but I had done my research and bought a better original example.

11 minutes ago, Rakkasan187 said:

Just make sure you know who and what you are purchasing and from whom. There are many known fake breast eagles out there, so ask questions and possibly get a few pictures, (front and back) to have it vetted here. Since you are younger, many will take advantage of that. 

Also you can rely on the members here that are selling items that they are honest and offer guarantees on what they sell. 

Leigh 

Just be very careful with the reference books. I don't want to rain on your parade but even reference books and notable authors have been found to have reproductions in their reference books. It is just now (within the last 20 years) that scholarly researchers have been able to get into records of manufacturers and they have spent countless tireless hours translating German records on uniform specifics, and other areas. Period photographs of Soldiers and other members of the military are an excellent source, albiet some of the images (most of the images are in black and white) won't show the colors but they are also a good source. 

Reference books are still a very excellent source of information and data and many of the new books are starting to add a reproduction section in the books but they don't cover everything.. Touching the fabric in hand, feeling the material, knowing the types of manufacturing techniques are all part of this hobby and of course what you are doing right now by asking lots of questions..

Leigh