WWI SCOUT Insignia, How Was It Worn?

Otter42

Go to solution Solved by Gunner87,

My grandfather was a SCOUT in WWI. He was in the 16th CDN Scottish.  I have photos of him with the SCOUT Trades pin on his sleeve, but not any with the scout insignia.  Anyone know where this was worn, shoulder epaulettes? Thanks for any help, Ken 

20230917_161015.jpg

20230917_161033.jpg

• Solution
On 9/18/2023 at 12:19 AM, Otter42 said:

My grandfather was a SCOUT in WWI. He was in the 16th CDN Scottish.  I have photos of him with the SCOUT Trades pin on his sleeve, but not any with the scout insignia.  Anyone know where this was worn, shoulder epaulettes? Thanks for any help, Ken 

20230917_161015.jpg

20230917_161033.jpg

Hello Otter42

What you have there is two 'Unauthorised' SCOUT shoulder titles .... this paragraph explains that a request was submitted for soldiers to wear the titles but not permitted.

Non authorized titles

An interesting letter is included in the badge files of the 201st Battalion in the Canadian Archives written June 18th 1916 by Lieutenant M.K. McKechnie, Scout Officer, 201st Bn. C.E.F. to Lieutenant A.K. Coventry D.I.O 2nd Military District reading in part “, I should be very much obliged if you could inform me whether it is permissible for men of the scout section to wear the word SCOUT in metal letters upon their shoulder strap after the manner commonly done by signalers (who carry SIGNAL). Some battalions are doing this, but before authorizing my men to purchase the badges, I should like this ruling.” The reply June 20th 1916 from the D.I.O. reads in part “I have the honour to call your attention to C.E.F. Orders (Administrative Staff) No.15 dated June 8th, informing that such practice is not yet permitted.”

Hope that answers your question.

Gunner 

information from canadiansoliders.com

i

0617B4DE-60DA-4C8D-8825-D4C2431F9C5C_4_5005_c.jpeg