Unidentified Piece of British Military Gear - help, please!

GUMP

Go to solution Solved by GUMP,

I would like some assistance to identify this unusual piece of British military gear, please. Is it a food container for officers? Is it a condiment holder? Is that object with the yellow top a nutmeg grater? Help - I'm stumped!

British Container (1).JPG

British Container (7).JPG

British Container (8).JPG

British Container (6).JPG

British Container (2).JPG

British Container (3).JPG

British Container (4).JPG

British Container (5).JPG

British Container (9).JPG

On 9/27/2023 at 10:15 AM, Preppy Picker said:

Is the grater marked? That is an oddity.

How about a military spice box? I found several older British spice boxes and they all have a nutmeg grater.

There are no markings on the grater.  A spice box sounds feasible...

11 hours ago, GUMP said:

Anyone else? 

I wonder if this box was that given to the Sikh and remaining Indian troops, not including Gurkhas who received the same as the British soldiers, which contained spices and the small Christmas card given in addition to the candy and cigarettes. Authorised camp followers, grouped under the title of 'Bhistis' also received a tin box of spices.

• Solution

British cuisine is not exactly renowned for its heavy use of spices, but Indian cuisine certainly is! (see Homer Simpson below)  I think that Gunner87 just might be on the right track here!  Preppy Picker definitely nailed it with "spice box" though. Herebelow are two images showing the probable contents of a similar box - courtesy of a Canadian friend. (Thank you, Roy)

British Spice Box - 01.jpg

BeH-mG6CcAAO3Pz.jpg

British Spice Box - 02.jpg

13 hours ago, GUMP said:

British cuisine is not exactly renowned for its heavy use of spices, but Indian cuisine certainly is! (see Homer Simpson below)  I think that Gunner87 just might be on the right track here!  Preppy Picker definitely nailed it with "spice box" though. Herebelow are two images showing the probable contents of a similar box - courtesy of a Canadian friend. (Thank you, Roy)

British Spice Box - 01.jpg

BeH-mG6CcAAO3Pz.jpg

British Spice Box - 02.jpg

Hi GUMP.

Just to add a little more info. An ex British Army vet recognised this as being used by Gurkhas.

The lid doubled up as a cooking pan and the yellow centre piece could be used to strike matches as well as holding spices etc.

Gunner

Nice ID on this! I love seeing unusual items like this. The amount of knowledge and detective skills around these forums never ceases to amaze me. 
mikie

• 4 weeks later...