What Unit is This?

Husky43

2 we see, this in theory would mean the 2nd Infantry Regiment, it was though a Grenadier Regiment, properly Grenadier-Regiment König Friedrich Wilhelm IV. (1. Pommersches) Nr. 2, but this Regiment's Shoulder Straps were White with Cypher for König Friedrich Wilhelm IV as well as wearing Collar Litzen. So next guess will be Reserve Infantrie Regiment nr 2. Despite being affiliated with the 2nd Grenadier Regiment , like most of the Reserve regiments who's parent wears them does not wear the Cypher or Litzen.

Trying to figure out who those Generals are, one on the left looks awfully familiar but can't pin him down.

We can say one thing though, the Shoulder Strap is not a Standard one, the Standard one if it was for Reserve Infantrie Regiment Nr 2. For the Blue Uniform it will be a White one with a Red Embroidered numeral 2.  For Field Grey, White Piping with again a Red Embroidered 2, no where do we see Metal Numbers on German Other Ranks Shoulder Straps, Officers yes, ORs No.

• 2 weeks later...

The blue and white flags under the guard house make me believe that we are searching for a Bavarian unit. The "General" to the right of the owner could be King Ludwig III. but I´m not sure about it. Will check my books again for the unit.

Lars I think you nailed it. good eye Bavarian, we also see the Bavarian Blue and White on the Sentry Box as well as the Light Blue of the Generals uniform and probably the 2nd Bavarian Reserve Regiment, the Standing Army 2nd RegimentKöniglich Bayerisches 2. Infanterie Regiment „Kronprinz“ had a Monogram on the Shoulder Strap, an M E, for Maximillian Emanuel II Elector of Bavaria, and first either Commander or Inhaber of the Regiment back in 1682.

The King

lud.jpg

lugg.jpg

Yes, I hope we are on the right track. I don´t have any infos about the Bavarian Reserve Regiments´uniforms but referring to my sources the Infantry Regiments of all Bavarian Army Corps had red shoulder boards.

We know that colors of such items can change over the decades. The color of our soldier´s uniform collar looks dark green on my PC. IF it is green and the shoulder board is faded green as well it could possibly be 2. Jaeger Regiment (2nd Light Infantry Regiment) former garrisoned in Aschaffenburg.

IF the color of the collar is in fact blue and the shoulder board is blue as well I would vote for 2. Train-Abteilung (2nd Supply Battalion) former garrisoned in Wuerzburg. Both units were part of Bavarian II. Armee Korps.

The guy on the left looks like Prince Leopold of Bavaria, then inspector general of the Bavarian Army.

In any case a fantastic piece of “Reservistika” – I like it very much, thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah Ja, Königlich Bayerisches Jägerbataillon Nr. 2, though it is a poorly colorized image, tunic should of been colored Light Blue. 2nd Bavarian Jäger Battalion had it home depot in Aschaffenburg. It's the Shoulder Strap that's the mystery, button no problem, buttun for te 2nd Company, but strap, it does look a Grey color, and the metal number 2 on it is non standard,.

I still maintain that he served with 2nd Jaeger Regiment. The grey strap is either a heavily faded green piece OR a strap for the coat (many Regiments used different color shoulder straps for the tunic and the coat). Now we have to find out if this is correct for 2nd Jaegers as well.