WW1 German Army Belt Identification

NathanRHill

I found this lying on the ground behind an apartment complex almost 20 years ago now. It had its original leather, but the leather was in absolutely terrible shape. I know now I probably should have left it that way, but at the time I actually wanted to wear it (but never did). So I had someone rebuilt it exactly as it was with new leather. I had forgotten about it in a box until now. 

The buckle is easy enough to identify as WW1 German/Prussian, but I’m curious what the buttons could signify? I’ve seen a reference to “grave digger” or “hate” belts where buttons were taken off of dead soldiers, but it would seem some of these would be from the “same team”. I’ve tried to find history on specific buttons and below is what I’ve found with quantities on the belt. 

I think it’s possible a collector just had this made, but judging by the original leather condition it would have still been of the same period (I do not have pictures of the original). 

22 Crown (Prussian/German?)

20 Gryphon (Belgian?)

2 Eagle (Russian?)

2 “1” (German Regiment 1?)

Any clues or input would be appreciated. My family actually emigrated from Germany to Texas around 1880 so I think it’s pretty neat to find something from that time and place. 

Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Preppy Picker

I’ve always referred to these as hate belts that were made by allied soldiers from captured booty. Sometimes you will find a mixture of Allied and enemy insignia pinned on. 

Did you keep the old belt? 

• 4 months later...
Sgt Saunders

Defiantly a WWI hate belt! You didn't want to get caught by the enemy with one. You would end up on there belt.