WWI French Horizon Blue Tunic

Allan H.

Heree's one that I never expected to pop out of the woodwork in rural Kansas, but you never know what might show up in the wild. I have not even begun to research it, but I believe this to be 403rd Infantry?

It is missing a couple of gold, domed, buttons. 

I'd appreciate any input you might have.

Allan

I believe this to be a WWI period tunic. BUGF14801.JPEG.34d37a29bc99cd06769a28a03bd43076.JPEG

ENQI1981[1].JPEG

JGRM1696[1].JPEG

So far pretty sure It will be Artillery related, finding info for  WWI French Orders of Battle is hard, just some divisions is all we found with that high number, 403, do believe it will be a war raised regiment and probably a Army or Corps level unit rather than Divisional Artllry.

13 hours ago, patches said:

So far pretty sure It will be Artillery related, finding info for  WWI French Orders of Battle is hard, just some divisions is all we found with that high number, 403, do believe it will be a war raised regiment and probably a Army or Corps level unit rather than Divisional Artllry.

Thanks for the response Patches. I have done ZERO research thus far, but WWI France is not an area where I have much experience.

Allan

The tunic seems to be for a officer, a Sous-Lieutenant, that Chevron on the cuffs seems to have been an alternative rank insignia, the tunic is probably one of the few variants privately made, or bought by officers, the buttons, these are plain Brass Bullet Buttons, seen one Artillery Officers tunic where the buttons are pained Blue and have Crossed Cannons devices on them, do these Bullet Buttons have French Hallmarks?

Here's an Artillery Tunic for a Sous-Lieutenant, it has the same sort of single chevron rather then the single bar on the cuff. The Buttons seem to be Brass in this case with the Arty Device on them.

french.PNG

Patches,

Thank you for the input. I appreciate any information that I can acquire on the tunic. The tunic being the standard coarse wool made me believe that the uniform was more likely an NCO, but I would have expected bars on the cuff rather than a chevron. It does make sense to me that a junior lieutenant might well wear an issue type tunic rather than a more expensive tailor-made uniform like the one shown in your photo. 

Another collector was kind enough to send me a message saying that the tunic as been identified as a 403e RADCA  (anti aircraft artillery) NCO's.

This unit ( regiment ) was formed in 1923. He sourced the info from the following site: https://artillerie.asso.fr/basart/article.php3?id_article=617

I do find it interesting that the unit would date to 1923, as that throws off the explanation that this and the spahi helmet posted separately were war souvenirs brought home after WWI.

I guess that I need to continue to read up on the subject.

My final note- the buttons are not back marked. They simply have a circle on the back. 

Allan

UPEQ3161[1].JPEG

Here's a 1934 group photo of a Battery of the 403rd, still wearing Horizon Blue, the Horizon Blue seen wear way past the early 20s when the Khaki uniforms were adopted.

403.PNG

403rd.PNG

Hello,

I can confirm the red collars are artillery related. The 403rd Artillery Regiment was created in 1917 from the depot of the 62nd RA, it is heir to the brilliant actions accomplished during the 1914-1918 war by the 66th and 67th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiments. Then the 403 éme Régiment d'Artillerie had been recreated in 1920 at Toul to become an Anti aircraft Régiment. They recorded 16 victories during the  1939/40 campaign and was stationed around Strasbourg, Belfort and Dijon. 

In my opinion the sleeves ranks are Sergeant chevron

40310.jpg.cd5be8ee1f972908370ed2275ae29ed8.jpg

So the tunic is 1920/1930 model and the Sergent chevron is à 7 March 1931 modèle.

14 hours ago, toitoine66 said:

Hello,

I can confirm the red collars are artillery related. The 403rd Artillery Regiment was created in 1917 from the depot of the 62nd RA, it is heir to the brilliant actions accomplished during the 1914-1918 war by the 66th and 67th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiments. Then the 403 éme Régiment d'Artillerie had been recreated in 1920 at Toul to become an Anti aircraft Régiment. They recorded 16 victories during the  1939/40 campaign and was stationed around Strasbourg, Belfort and Dijon. 

In my opinion the sleeves ranks are Sergeant chevron

40310.jpg.cd5be8ee1f972908370ed2275ae29ed8.jpg

So the tunic is 1920/1930 model and the Sergent chevron is à 7 March 1931 modèle.

The buttons are Bullet buttons on the above uniform in portrait Non? Tunic Allan H has lacks Shouder Straps as we see.