WWI Aussie AFC Pilot Wing with Red Crown 1917-18?

Castle_Keep

Hello from Texas-

This wing is a new to my collection.  It appears to have been previously worn and has loose black threads that burn clean.  I’ve included black light images for your review.  Is this a rare original or a vintage replica?  Why the red crown?  Under British command?  I can’t locate another wing like it. 

Much appreciated, 

Patrick 

IMG_6858.jpeg

IMG_6859.jpeg

IMG_6854.jpeg

IMG_6856.jpeg

IMG_6851.jpeg

IMG_6852.jpeg

It looks genuine to me and a great find being a WW1 era pilot wing.  I have no idea why the red inside of the crown.  I found this on the Internet (see photo below) as well as one being worn by Elwyn Roy King, DSO, DFC (13 May 1894 – 28 November 1941) who was a fighter ace in the Australian Flying Corps (AFC) during World War I.  In the photo titled AFC Aircrew Badges-WINGS there are four different AFC pilot wings with red inside of the crown. I found the following information on the Internet:

The Australian Flying Corps (AFC) was the branch of the Australian Army responsible for operating aircraft during World War I, and the forerunner of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). The AFC was established in 1912, though it was not until 1914 that it began flight training.  The RAAF wasn't formed until March, 1921.

1b.jpg

1 Elwyn_R_King_A03717.jpg

Tonomachi-

Thanks for chimming in.  I suspect that you are correct.  My second weblink (above) reveals the following:

"No 2 Squadron AFC Pilot's badge. Original font. Lettering inside the wreath. Wreath in red."

Much appreciated,

Patrick