WW2 Era Swedish Pilot Wing? No Real Clue

Castle_Keep

Go to solution Solved by Tonomachi,

I’ve rustled-up another wing that needs to be identified and dated, if possible.  Thanks again

Patrick 

IMG_6866.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Castle_Keep said:

I’ve rustled-up another wing that needs to be identified and dated, if possible.  Thanks again

Patrick 

IMG_6866.jpeg

IMG_6863.jpeg

IMG_6864.jpeg

16 hours ago, Castle_Keep said:

Patrick 

IMG_6866.jpeg

IMG_6863.jpeg

IMG_6864.jpeg

Hi Patrick.

If you're on Facebook these two sites, who have a messenger facility and who are only too happy to offer their expertise, might be worth contacting https://www.facebook.com/ww2wings/ and https://www.facebook.com/rathbonemuseum/

I have sought their advice on previous occasions.

Gunner 87

• Solution

It is a WW2 French Air Force officer dress cap badge.  Here is another amongst a grouping of insignia once belonging to Jean Vauzanges, French CFPNA  (Les Centres de Formation du Personnel Navigant en Amerique) pilot who trained in the USA during WW2.

1.jpg

29 minutes ago, Gunner87 said:

Hi Patrick.

If you're on Facebook these two sites, who have a messenger facility and who are only too happy to offer their expertise, might be worth contacting https://www.facebook.com/ww2wings/ and https://www.facebook.com/rathbonemuseum/

I have sought their advice on previous occasions.

Gunner 87

Thanks Gunner....but I dumped Facebook years ago for ideoligical reasons.  

19 minutes ago, Tonomachi said:

It is a WW2 French Air Force officer dress cap badge.  Here is another amongst a grouping of insignia once belonging to Jean Vauzanges, French CFPNA  (Les Centres de Formation du Personnel Navigant en Amerique) pilot who trained in the USA during WW2.

1.jpg

Tonomachi - Thanks for identifying the cap badge for me.  I will treasure mine.  That grouping is fascinating.  Thanks for sharing it.  

-Patrick

28 minutes ago, Castle_Keep said:

As Tonomachi has just said the museum just came back to me and confirmed they are French. 

Gunner...

11 minutes ago, Gunner87 said:

As Tonomachi has just said the museum just came back to me and confirmed they are French. 

Gunner...

Thanks Gunner!  

On 12/12/2023 at 12:29 PM, Castle_Keep said:

Tonomachi - Thanks for identifying the cap badge for me.  I will treasure mine.  That grouping is fascinating.  Thanks for sharing it.  

-Patrick

Tonomachi-  In regards to your French pilot grouping…this may be of interest to you:

IMG_6918.jpeg

On 12/13/2023 at 11:00 AM, Castle_Keep said:

Tonomachi-  In regards to your French pilot grouping…this may be of interest to you:

IMG_6918.jpeg

I don't own this grouping but thanks for sharing this information.  What I do own is a related WW2 era French bullion paratrooper wing sewn upon a theater made version of the Free French Forces Training patch.  It came with a pair of these French made DUIs.  I saw the entire grouping before it was placed on consignment with Manion's Auction House.  However missing from this grouping when I won the auction was a USAAC aircrewman flight wing and the soldier's diary which somehow got misplaced.   

French WW2 Bullion Para & DUI (1).JPG

French WW2 Bullion Para & DUI (2).JPG

58 minutes ago, Tonomachi said:

I don't own this grouping but thanks for sharing this information.  What I do own is a related WW2 era French bullion paratrooper wing sewn upon a theater made version of the Free French Forces Training patch.  It came with a pair of these French made DUIs.  I saw the entire grouping before it was placed on consignment with Manion's Auction House.  However missing from this grouping when I won the auction was a USAAC aircrewman flight wing and the soldier's diary which somehow got misplaced.   

French WW2 Bullion Para & DUI (1).JPG

French WW2 Bullion Para & DUI (2).JPG

Thanks for showing me this. I’d never seen a Free French jump wing or DI before.  The attached image was extracted from a previous online auction. Interesting variations.  They apparently sold for about $900.00👍

IMG_7012.png