LZ-127 GRAF ZEPPELIN FIRST VOYAGE BADGE - 1932 - REAL ??

gmcelroy

Go to solution Solved by Rakkasan187,

Hello, I recently acquired a large lot of military items at an estate sale. I located what appears to be a commemorative badge of the LZ-127 Graf Zeppelin airship, brass construction with yellow enamel showing the zeppelin in flight surrounded by names of cities FRIEDRICHSHAFEN TOKIO LOS ANGELES LAKEHURST. Maker marked 'FLL" (Friedrich, Linden, Ludenscheid). I did conduct some research and apparently these badges may have been given to crew and other airship staff. They were issued in different colors as each color was linked to the specialty or position the recipient held in the company. 

What I would like to know if anyone can tell if this is real or a recently made copy? In my humble opinion, it appears to be too clean to be 90 years old (however it was stored in a small sealed bag). On the other hand, it appears to be identical to a "blue version" of this badge which was listed by Alexander Historical Auctions in Maryland in June 2023 and they estimated the value between $200-$300. Any thoughts or information which someone could provide would be much appreciated. Thank you !!!  

14A.jpg

14B.jpg

2 hours ago, gmcelroy said:

Hello, I recently acquired a large lot of military items at an estate sale. I located what appears to be a commemorative badge of the LZ-127 Graf Zeppelin airship, brass construction with yellow enamel showing the zeppelin in flight surrounded by names of cities FRIEDRICHSHAFEN TOKIO LOS ANGELES LAKEHURST. Maker marked 'FLL" (Friedrich, Linden, Ludenscheid). I did conduct some research and apparently these badges may have been given to crew and other airship staff. They were issued in different colors as each color was linked to the specialty or position the recipient held in the company. 

What I would like to know if anyone can tell if this is real or a recently made copy? In my humble opinion, it appears to be too clean to be 90 years old (however it was stored in a small sealed bag). On the other hand, it appears to be identical to a "blue version" of this badge which was listed by Alexander Historical Auctions in Maryland in June 2023 and they estimated the value between $200-$300. Any thoughts or information which someone could provide would be much appreciated. Thank you !!!  

14A.jpg

14B.jpg

Hi gmcelroy.

I have no knowledge of these badges but I wonder, as they are so unique and bespoke to that Zeppelin and particular flight, plus limited in numbers issued, whether it would be worth making counterfeit copies considering any likely buyer would have knowledge of the item. The detail is quite involved so to manufacture them would entail some work.

It may also look new or well preserved as it wasn't worn a great deal unlike medals which have day to day wear and tear. 

Just food for thought.

Gunner

• Solution

Unfortunately this is a copy. The coffin shaped pin device on the back is a post war attachment device. I have seen these pins and the various colors in catalogs such as Military Issue, World Wide Militaria, and Historic Aviation to name a few. I have also seen the 1936 Olympic Pins and other Third Reich era decorations which are all copies..

Leigh