Japanese Army Officer’s Tunic

Allan H.

Allan H.

This tunic is interesting to me for a number of reasons, and also a bit of a head scratcher. The blouse is executed in a forest green and is quilted inside, so I am quite sure it would have provided plenty of warmth for the Lieutenant that wore it. It is extremely well tailored. 
The rank devices denote.  1st Lieutenant, but on close inspection you can see that there was once a star in the center of each tab. I assume that the rank tabs have been converted from a pair of Captain’s tabs. The tunic is extremely small in size. 
Above the wearer’s right pocket flap is the standard “M” which is executed in dark blue felt. I am having a bit of difficulty determining branch. I believe that black is Military Police and it is far too dark for aviation. I’m not sure what I am missing here. 
Finally, you can see that there is an opening at the waist to allow for a dagger or sword. 
I would appreciate any and all comments. Thanks for looking. 
Allan

73172869415__10FF0B0D-DCCD-4712-9E3C-39987A0796A0.jpeg

73172841575__8217E96E-3F9F-4EBC-B2DF-171C363AE2E4.jpeg

73172843307__F379D3F3-E441-429F-93D0-36028E556E34.jpeg

73172830996__B7FE7FEC-2DA6-41B8-A5D5-3C91DFBEF271.jpeg

73177885509__4C9B265F-843B-4E4E-8DE8-5B2A52BCB486.jpeg

Hi Allan,

A very nice early tunic with the high collar and no cuff stripes.  I don"t recall what the blue squiggle  branch over the pocket patch represents but you are correct it is not black for MP.  I would read the collar tabs as him being promoted from a one star to a two star change-up.  The tunic has his name tag inside.  Did you look for a tailor label in the pockets?

A Nice tunic.  

George 

Allan H.

Hi George,

Thanks for the feedback. I am still stumped on the color of the “M” but appreciate your confirmation that it is not MP. I also appreciate your assessment that the tabs have been upgraded to 1st Lt versus a downgrade from Captain, but I thought the 2nd Lt rank had one star on the edge of the field rather than centered. 
I did not find a tailor’s label, but the tunic is very high quality, so I am sure that it is tailor made. 
Allan

patches

Transport Department or whatever it was titled.

This from that Wartime manual  on Axis Uniforms and Insignia, the J. A. N. No. 1

nipponn.jpg

nippon.PNG

Allan H.

Thanks for the response Patchres. To me, the Transport "M" is decidedly purple in hue where the one on the tunic is very blue, even moreso than in the photo. I suppose Transport is the closest to what I am seeing.

Allan