French Naval Tally on WWII Donald Duck Cap

Bosley

Hi All,

I believe what I have here is an authentic WWII Donald Duck cap, but with a tally for a French ship.  Was wondering if there might be any reason to think this might be a legit item from the war, or it this just somebody trying to find a way to sell a plain Donald Duck cap by sprucing it up?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

-Bosley

IMG_1272_1_1_1.jpg

IMG_1276_1_1.jpg

IMG_1274_1_2_1.jpg

patches

Added for sure.

This ship La Saône was a Post WWII Fleet Tanker, had a Sister Ship  La Seine

Designed for refueling purposes in France in 1938, the oil tankers La Seine and La Saone underwent construction but were dry docked in 1939, with their construction abruptly halted due to the war.
Finally commissioned at the end of the 1940s, they were initially utilized on the route to Iraq before being reclaimed by the French Navy (Marine Nationale) for its own needs.
As advancements in at-sea refueling techniques took place, a decision was made to transform them into squadron oil supply ships.
This extensive overhaul involved installing gantry cranes for fuel pipes. Following successful tests, they participated in various exercises, including missions in the Pacific as part of Force Alpha.
The primary goal of this operation, involving numerous ships, was to protect the French nuclear test sites at Mururoa and Fangataufa, and it continued for several years.
Eventually surpassed by units with much higher performance capabilities, La Seine and La Saone were decommissioned from the French Navy in the mid-1970s and ceased operations shortly thereafter.

Thanks so much, patches.  This is very helpful information.  So you feel it's basically certain that the tally itself couldn't possibly be wartime?

patches
23 hours ago, Bosley said:

Thanks so much, patches.  This is very helpful information.  So you feel it's basically certain that the tally itself couldn't possibly be wartime?

Yes, seeing that the two ships were only commissioned in 1949.

Thanks, patches.  Really nice to get this information.

As a thank you, I'd be happy to gift you this French tally if you'd like it for your collection.

I'm usually not one for Frankensteining stuff, but this might be a good chance to see if I can't find a loose real US Navy WWII tally and finally add it to the blank hat after all these years.  Because I do believe the cap itself is a legit WWII US Navy cap. 

patches
23 hours ago, Bosley said:

Thanks, patches.  Really nice to get this information.

As a thank you, I'd be happy to gift you this French tally if you'd like it for your collection.

I'm usually not one for Frankensteining stuff, but this might be a good chance to see if I can't find a loose real US Navy WWII tally and finally add it to the blank hat after all these years.  Because I do believe the cap itself is a legit WWII US Navy cap. 

No I wound't need that, I thank you though.

As far as a WWII Cap Tally

Here you go, actually sold by a member here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224041159772