My Austrian Collection.

Dr_Rambow

Hello! Long time member of the USMF. Glad this new site was put up since for a few years now I've been collecting Austro-Hungarian material. Focused mostly on Eastern Front 1914-15 but pick up later war material when I have a chance. Recently re-did my display so that I minimize what's packed away in boxes. Enjoy!

post-185667-0-61470200-1548216652_thumb.jpg

I cut off the poor Werndl on the far right. Most everything fits in this space, though. No more digging around multiple places in the war room to see everything.

post-185667-0-18593400-1548216811_thumb.jpg

Very nice! I love your uniforms with equipment and your swords with their accouterments.

I am interested in Polizei and Gendarmerie uniforms and equipment but I wander off into other areas as well.

Are any of your firearms or edged weapons police marked by chance?

That some spectacular looking militaria that I know very little about. Thank you for posting the photos, it's great to be able to see and learn the color and detail of these items.

Dennis

Thanks! The selection is very limited as I have a narrow scope to my collection thus far (both from a financial limitation and an availability standpoint). that's part of why I am enjoying it so much; it is very different from anything else I have collected (US militaria mostly).

What a wonderful collection! It is great that you are specializing in a subject that doesn't get a lot of awareness. I'm very thankful that folks like you are around who help educate us generalists like myself, like you did with my postcards.

I once had one of the neat little M95 straight pull army carbines. Like with so much of my original collection, wish I had hung onto it now. I sold almost everything off in 1982 to finance my move here to California.

Mikie

My pleasure! I've been having tremendous fun learning something new; and if I can help others to learn at the same time, all the better! Lord knows that I'm a novice when it comes to most other things.

Luckily M95 rifles in general still quite available. The days of $95 carbines in 8x56 are long gone but even then they are one of the more affordable mil-surps out there. I've had to shell out a fair bit of money for some of the less common stuff (basically anything before the M95), but even then the price versus most US rifles is rather fair.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What make is your 1907?

Impressive collection. I don't see many Austrian collectors out there.

Manufactured by Steyr in 1909 (first year of production). It is one that escaped a later modification to prevent a possible double fire issue.

the ID disc is marked to the 71st Infantry Regiment Pistol #211

They are neat pistols! I found some new production ammo recently and am looking forward to taking it to the range.

post-185667-0-92909500-1551398647_thumb.jpg

post-185667-0-71130700-1551398653.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hallo dr Rambow,

I note in your exibition an infantry tschako, trooper. For what I can understand, it maybe an 1862 model, can you confirm me?

Thanks

It is per the 1911 regulations if I recall correctly. That said, I believe it is a nice reproduction with some original parts.

thanks

old models of tschako (1850 and 1862), are really higher than 1911 and eagle is about 2 cm higher than eagle for last model

this is my 1850

post-188610-0-90570200-1564739560_thumb.jpg

Those are fantastic examples! And depot marked too. I feel that issued items for low ranking enlisted men are a lot more difficult to find! I will have to double check mine when I get home.

The lance cap, pouch and 1909 Roth Steyr are stunning. The only suggestion I would make for the photo would be to include the hilt of a lancer sword. Thank you for posting the picture.

Dick