As promised some Iraqi uniforms and equipment from Desert Storm and OIF 1

ScottG

Here are some of my Iraqi uniforms and equipment. Much more is still in boxes but I will add to this section as I continue to organize and downsize my basement junk pile. First up is an OIF 1 era desert camo that was fairly new to the Iraqi Army in 2003. Many of these uniforms were used by US Special Forces and were later issued to the Iraqi I.C.D.C. later in 03. This set came from a prisoner near Baghdad and it was the first uniform I "liberated" and sent home. I thought the pattern was neat and had never seen it before. It was a Republican Guard Lieutenants uniform and as you can see it still has the insignia on the sleeves as well as his rank, RG breast badge, flag pin and red rope which is called a "qardoon". The qardoons were branch specific with red, and red/green being for Republican Guard units. Another point of interest is the Baath Party emblem stamped in the inside neck area of the shirt. This one is faded but you will see another in the next uniform. This was an Iraqi produced pattern.    Scott

DSCN0690.JPG

DSCN0691.JPG

DSCN0692.JPG

DSCN0693.JPG

Here is an Air Force Captains field uniform. It has the qardoon for Air Defense which played a major role in both Desert Storm and OIF. This is an OIF period uniform though the shoulder boards are much older and of a nice quality. The difference between this and a working dress uniform in tan is that the material is much heavier like the set shown above, and the trousers have large belt loops for the web belt as well as a side cargo pocket. Also notice the Baath Party stamp inside the neck of the shirt. This uniform came out of an office at an air defense site at what would become Camp Slayer near Baghdad. It was the central command center for the Iraqi Air Defense network and was made to look like a mosque.     Scott

DSCN0694.JPG

DSCN0695.JPG

DSCN0696.JPG

Here is the Iraqi "Dennison" jump smock. Many of these came out of the Al-Taji depot in 2003 and they show up from time to time on various sites. This one is no different except that I was fortunate enough to be there in early 2003 and got to go through them. I sent many home to sell and trade but kept this one. It is unissued but has the insignia already on it which most did not. It was made by Hyundai in Korea and just like its British Cousin it has a frontal zipper and a "beaver tail" on the back.     Scott

DSCN0697.JPG

DSCN0698.JPG

DSCN0701.JPG

DSCN0700.JPG

A woodland pattern seen worn by many Iraqi Army units. Again a locally produced uniform as far as I know. It has no real story, I found it at the Taji Depot and sent it home.   Scott

DSCN0706.JPG

DSCN0707.JPG

A special uniform. This came from the home of Lt. General Abid Hamid Mahmoud Al-Tikriti in Baghdad. His former residence became the home of Lt. General William Wallace and Later Lt. General Sanchez. I had the job of clearing it for communications (secure phone and internet) and placing a team there to manage those assets. In doing this I got this uniform, an older dress uniform from when he was a Lt. Colonel, a beret, and some other items. Shown are a packaged pair of high quality shoulder ranks and I have only ever seen one other set like this that showed up on e-Bay once. He was a Cousin to Saddam and Commander of the Republican Guard, he was the ace of diamonds in the deck of cards. From the rank on the uniform he was expecting a promotion, or received one prior to the ground war. It has the removable republican guard plastic triangles, and a higher quality qardoon as well as a higher quality material in the uniform itself. The trousers are still unhemmed.    Scott

DSCN0708.JPG

DSCN0709.JPG

DSCN0710.JPG

A pair of Desert Storm era shirts. The wool shirt is quite heavy and these were often seen as an outer garment on Iraqi Soldiers in both Desert Storm and OIF. I even have a set of heavy wool officer shoulder boards that match, though I have never seen matching trousers. I sent this home from Saudi Arabia in 91. The other is the L'berge Camo shirt which is Chinese made. It was heavily used in Desert Storm and is often seen with a field jacket in a matching pattern. I am not sure where the trousers are at the moment... This was also sent home from Desert Storm in 91.   Scott

DSCN0713.JPG

DSCN0714.JPG

Here are a couple of hard to find belts. The green is Army and blue is Air Force. What makes them a bit special is that they are pre 1991. You can see this by the vertical stars within the eagle. After 1991 they were changed to horizontal and the current models have no stars.  

DSCN0704.JPG

Alright, some field gear and personal items. I think some of these require an explanation that many of you will totally understand. So, I was in Desert Shield/Storm in 1990/91 and then OIF 1 and 2 from March 2003 to June of 2004, it was a long tour due to several mitigating factors...

In Desert Storm my tour was cut a bit short as I was injured and medevaced to Germany and later the States. I was able to get some souvenir items and all in all I am pretty happy with what I was able to send home or bring out with my gear. That said, it was not a lot. So move forward to OIF and several years and promotions later I was back in Iraq and Kuwait. As a life long collector I told myself that if I had a chance, I would send out as much as I could to trade or sell, and as many "quality" items as possible to collect. With a 14 month tour, I ended up with that chance. So, you have seen several uniforms already, and there are more. Now some gear. The thing to know is these things are complete, meaning the first aid kit and decontamination kit have all of the items in them. The gas mask has the cape, gloves, anti fog, spare filter etc... I had a torso made to look like an Iraqi and it currently has a Desert Storm Republican Guard uniform with gear on it. The ammo pouches are full of AK mags and the oiler, so by now I am sure most of you get it.

I did not go after the flashiest items, though I did get some. I went for the common soldier and junior officer items that see the most use and later become the most sought after. That is what you will see here. Some things will be very mundane, but you won't likely have seen them elsewhere as they just are not pretty. I just thought about all of the hard to find WWI or WWII items and applied that to Iraqi items. So, now that I have said that, here are some back packs in the British style, along with ammo and kidney pouches and a duffel bag with the Jihm mark for the Iraqi military, not the Republican Guard as many believe.    Scott

DSCN0717.JPG

DSCN0718.JPG

The first items that are a bit uncommon. An Iraqi map case, a chest bandolier for AK mags, the complete gas mask as described above, and an Iraqi produced folding e-tool.   Scott.

DSCN0719.JPG

DSCN0720.JPG

Another set of seldom seen items to include a blanket, another back pack and perhaps the rarest of all, an army issue prayer mat. Everyone I knew and myself included bought cheap prayer rugs while there, but as much as I told guys in my unit how rare they would be, no one wanted to hold onto these army issued mats. I sent home two and traded one and they may be the only ones in the collecting community.   Scott

DSCN0721.JPG

DSCN0722.JPG

DSCN0723.JPG

An Iraqi bandage that I opened for display and on the top right, the complete first aid kit. The top left is the complete decontamination kit. These are found pretty often and one should exercise caution as they contain atropine injectors.    Scott

DSCN0727.JPG

DSCN0728.JPG

Here is a mess kit cover with the full mess kit as well as a drinking cup and knife. Most people mistake the covers for ammo pouches.   Scott

DSCN0001.JPG

DSCN0002.JPG

DSCN0003.JPG