Any thoughts on this Pennant?

CryoMark12

Go to solution Solved by daskrieg,

1 hour ago, CryoMark12 said:

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 20.22.35.png

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 20.22.47.png

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 20.22.30.png

Hi CryoMark12.

Very difficult to tell by looking online but my first thought would be whether a forger would produce such a bespoke artefact such as this pennant? It is not as if they are commonly seen online. Saying that the one I attach sold at auction in 2020 for 260 US so to a cheap buy. The colour appears too have faded from the one I have found online and that might be due to handing in direct sunlight. 

https://www.alexautographs.com/auction-lot/1938-reichsparteitag-pennant_C1142E49E9

I did also find a different version of yours with the Swastika replacing the Nürnberg scene which also seems to have retained it colour.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/non-combat-uniforms-related-insignia-third-reich/reichsparteitag-1938-flag-pennant-banner-688799/

My personal opinion is I can't see anyone making a reproduction of this pennant. Would be interested in any other views. 

Gunner...

50582A5C-1E28-4025-B08C-4C48CE1E54F8.jpeg

2F6548B3-7A13-426C-9D66-925DD53C8DE6.jpeg

F98E1621-7123-4D1C-A178-3CDC5F18268B.jpeg

So a bit more info the owner said it's cotton construction but never mentioned any wear or sun exposure. I'm shocked to find that your images have a red while mine is a light brown color. However, does that indicate that the flag is very worn out because the owner wants $700 for it? So would it be worth buying it, this piece I also really like. 

2 hours ago, CryoMark12 said:

So a bit more info the owner said it's cotton construction but never mentioned any wear or sun exposure. I'm shocked to find that your images have a red while mine is a light brown color. However, does that indicate that the flag is very worn out because the owner wants $700 for it? So would it be worth buying it, this piece I also really like. 

There are many pennants online for sale but not that colour. That could, of course, go in its favour, as why would a forger produce a copy that is plainly wrong. Looking more closely at the material it doesn't appear to be the texture that would fade and importantly, if it had faded in the sunlight, would both sides change colour? Probably not..... 

Gunner :) 

19 minutes ago, CryoMark12 said:

So you would say it's a fake? And based on the color too along with the design? 

My personal opinion, and this is only based on what I have seen online and experience in fraud, weighing up the pro's and con's, I think it is genuine. I would like to see another opinion and I think you must make up your own mind. I will tag @daskrieg as his knowledge may well be of great assistance.

Gunner... 

I think what you might be seeing is something that is affected by the various camera image lighting used -and even different backgrounds can have an effect on how we perceive color. Not that you won't see some color variances and even different materials used, these were somewhat cheap souvenirs of the rally.

That being said,  I think the little party tag banner is real- but IMO $700 is a bit pricey, these turn up. You also see them in pennant form.

Contrast.gif

• Solution
59 minutes ago, Gunner87 said:

My personal opinion, and this is only based on what I have seen online and experience in fraud, weighing up the pro's and con's, I think it is genuine. I would like to see another opinion and I think you must make up your own mind. I will tag @daskrieg as his knowledge may well be of great assistance.

Gunner... 

I believe in my opinion , during the "Reichsparty days" many flags and banners would have been displayed in honor of the festivities. I also do not think the banner is faded as the flag on the insert would be faded also. I am NO expert but if it were a repro it would cost to much to make and  not be worth duplicating. So in my opinion i think it is a cool original item

On 7/11/2023 at 10:13 PM, CryoMark12 said:

18 hours ago, daskrieg said:

I believe in my opinion , during the "Reichsparty days" many flags and banners would have been displayed in honor of the festivities. I also do not think the banner is faded as the flag on the insert would be faded also. I am NO expert but if it were a repro it would cost to much to make and  not be worth duplicating. So in my opinion i think it is a cool original item

19 hours ago, Mr.Jerry said:

I think what you might be seeing is something that is affected by the various camera image lighting used -and even different backgrounds can have an effect on how we perceive color. Not that you won't see some color variances and even different materials used, these were somewhat cheap souvenirs of the rally.

That being said,  I think the little party tag banner is real- but IMO $700 is a bit pricey, these turn up. You also see them in pennant form.

Contrast.gif

Thank you, guys, so much for the help.  That saved me from getting fakes for too much money and taught me what to look for in these items. Thank you.