Anyone know what this is

Peter 180

17 hours ago, Peter 180 said:

I bought this in an antique shop but have no idea what it is, any ideas?DSC_0681.JPG.57e97d41fe502545ac28525a1fb8b09d.JPG

DSC_0682.JPG

Hi Peter 180.

Thanks for sharing this, it really is a mysterious object. I have spoken to an artillery expert and he suggested it maybe a model nose cap. The shape certainly lends itself to this theory but the internal detail is somewhat difference. 

I am a member of a number of forums with some very experienced people so have posted it there and will let you know if any recognise the artefact.

Gunner...

Thanks Gunner

The dealer said it was test cone for measuring impact on a artillery shell during the cold war but wasn't sure 

14 minutes ago, Peter 180 said:

Thanks Gunner

The dealer said it was test cone for measuring impact on a artillery shell during the cold war but wasn't sure 

That sounds very plausible... I will add this info to the posts. 

43 minutes ago, Peter 180 said:

Thanks Gunner

Hi Peter.

From an instructor at the Royal Artillery, Gunnery Career Course and Gunnery Staff Course, Ammunition Wing it looks like a Plug Representative Fuse, PRF, used on demo shells.

The nose of it looks like it would move down, so more than likely a percussion type.  Basically a very simple fuse with little safety mechanisms. Probably dates well before the 1960's as from then fuses had safety mechanisms. 

Hope that is of some use.

Gunner

Thanks Gunner,

That's very interesting, I really appreciate your efforts, it's s shame it's not a definite "that's what it is" answer. I wonder if anyone else has any idea/theory. If anyone else comes back to you please let me know.

Thanks again Gunner 

On 8/28/2023 at 6:42 PM, Peter 180 said:

Thanks Gunner,

That's very interesting, I really appreciate your efforts, it's s shame it's not a definite "that's what it is" answer. I wonder if anyone else has any idea/theory. If anyone else comes back to you please let me know.

Thanks again Gunner 

Peter,

These are interesting observations from two members of the International Ammunition Forum that 'may' cast some doubt on our two theories of a model fuze or test cone.....

Doesn’t seem typical of a fuze model, too many features missing. You have a transparent body, with no fuze components shown or room for them to be installed. Likewise there is no threaded area for the “fuze” to be attached to a munition body. Also, if you are referring to safe and arming components of fuzes (safety devices), various methods were in use by the First World War. The use of clear plastic for fuze type models was typically seen in the 70-80s.

and

A testing fuze also seems unlikely, if you’re going to be testing an artillery projectile you would typically either have a proper functional fuze or a solid dummy plug for a non-explosive TP projectile.

It’s could be a display piece but ......... there’s no room for the proper internal parts of a fuze so the point of being a display fuze is moot (same for a testing fuze). I would be surprised if such a piece could even survive being fired from an artillery piece.

Attached is a training model of an M52 Mortar round fuze for comparison....

Will see if any other suggestions are posted...

Gunner....

@Proud Kraut

B0EB137D-6C0A-4E75-BEA4-6D8778FCF6A0_4_5005_c.jpeg