German M35 double decal helmet

Nices

Go to solution Solved by Jim McCauley,

image.png.5b0946087d97e9c06babe81cdae6eebe.png

image.png.357db6798671dacb725d0b201699b981.pngimage.png.8af8fed50af0a435025be1fe380586d0.pngimage.png.92f22c4c3007f4fefa0b9d7d70408f82.pngimage.png.49ba85ea5492810a512f4d7d688e00a6.png

Hello! I have what looks to be a German m35 helmet. I know the shell and possibly the liner are original, but I want to take steps into figuring out if the decals are original. How would I be able to do this and are there any visible sings of them being reproduction from the photos? 

Preppy Picker

Those photos are horrible and that can be a red flag. The liner looks in worse condition than the shell. To determine the decals requires straight on pictures with the proper light.

Original shell.  Post-war paint and decals. Norwegian, re-dyed, liner. Norwegian chin strap.

These helmets were Norwegian surplus in the 1970s.  Sellers would repaint them and put reproduction decals on them.

17 minutes ago, Jim McCauley said:

Original shell.  Post-war paint and decals. Norwegian, re-dyed, liner. Norwegian chin strap.

These helmets were Norwegian surplus in the 1970s.  Sellers would repaint them and put reproduction decals on them.

Is this helmet being offered as an original or as a Norwegian restoration?
I bought one in the late 1970s from an ad in Shotgun News. Price was $19.95 + shipping. The one posted here looks much nicer than mine did back then. The liner is just like this one except it was almost new. But it had a HORRIBLE gray paint job and cheap looking decals. I carefully pealed the paint off to reveal what I think what was left of the original paint. There were still tiny vestiges of Norwegian lion decals. Mine looks a fright, but still much better and closer to original than it did with that awful gray paint. 
mikie

@Jim McCauleyI am examining this helmet for a friend and hoping to buy it from him. Do you have any ways of telling from the liner right of the bat? It seems sketchy if I were to tell him what were to be a $300 helmet is really worth much less without any proof.

@mikieI am looking at some references for Norwegian helmet liners and thought the chinstrap does closely resemble a Norwegian one, the liner looks pretty different from this one. image.png.e420431ad4042e8494e640d577d604f5.png

• Solution
15 minutes ago, Nices said:

@Jim McCauleyI am examining this helmet for a friend and hoping to buy it from him. Do you have any ways of telling from the liner right of the bat? It seems sketchy if I were to tell him what were to be a $300 helmet is really worth much less without any proof.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question properly. The liner is a Norwegian reissue due to the red dye job.  I'm not sure why these Norwegian refurbished liners received the dye, but it does appear on most, but not all, reissued German liners. Some people have had success removing the dye with acetone, but it never worked well for me.  I've tried it twice. 

It is a nice complete example. I really haven't followed the value of these. Maybe $300 isn't too bad for a dealer price. From a friend, I would expect $150-$200 but that's just a guess on my part.

If I was going to lay out $300 for a helmet, I would try to find an all-original WWII German, no decal, M40 or M42.  With some shopping and a little luck, they can be found in the $300-$350 price range.

Best regards.

Jim

On 11/12/2023 at 8:32 AM, Nices said:

@mikieI am looking at some references for Norwegian helmet liners and thought the chinstrap does closely resemble a Norwegian one, the liner looks pretty different from this one. image.png.e420431ad4042e8494e640d577d604f5.png

I’m away from home for a few days so cannot show photos of mine. The metal parts of my liner is definitely German and dated 1940. The leather is tan like this one.

This reworked helmet would be a good alternative to a fully original one if the price is right or the budget is limited.

mikie