German Helmets in Hollywood

bolo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Mr.Jerry said:

Thanks these still are great to see!  as a "war movie" prop/costume collector myself it is neat to see so many in use.  i will try and post some of my collection here when I can.

Yes please do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Pickelhaubes from the original All Quiet On The Western Front, Pickelhaubes, real ones but with newly made covers for them, course cloth, the real ones in the main being made of softer smoother cloth, there were Ersatz cover that were used, like a muslin light weight burlap, but these were used from say mid 1915 to mid 1916, but this scene from the movie takes place in 1914, late fall of 1914 say.

all qute.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A great movie.  One you can watch over and over again.  

• 4 weeks later...

An interesting find this from a 1927 Silent film called The Gay Retreat. 

Actors Sammy Cohen on the left and Ted McNamara on right, the one Cohen is wearing looks real, albeit with a replaced chin strap but with the attachments for the inside lugs, the one McNamara wears looks like a mockup. Their M1915 Tunics maybe made up ones as they both lack the Bottle Green Collars, but the Shoulder straps maybe real, if you look closely the one Cohen wears is from the 92nd Infantry Regiment, the famous Braunschweigisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 92.

Some stuff for the Regiment including their Shoulder Strap.

Capture.PNG

On 2/14/2024 at 11:56 PM, patches said:

Actors Sammy Cohen on the left and Ted McNamara on right, the one Cohen is wearing looks real, albeit with a replaced chin strap but with the attachments for the inside lugs, the one McNamara wears looks like a mockup. Their M1915 Tunics maybe made up ones as they both lack the Bottle Green Collars, but the Shoulder straps maybe real, if you look closely the one Cohen wears is from the 92nd Infantry Regiment, the famous Braunschweigisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 92.

Capture.PNG

Forgot the link for the shoulder straps.

https://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh78.htm

Sammy Cohen for those who wouldn't  know plays the New York  Ashkenazi Russian Jewish Enlistee to the 69th New York Infantry in 1917, in the 1940 WWI movie The Fighting 69th, he gives his Army Name, the name he joined with as Michael Murphy, calls himself Mike, Mike Murphy LOL, he does this because he wants to fit in in this predominantly New York Irish American National Guard  Regiment, Jimmy Cagney character, Jerry Plunkett,  makes friends with him, but knows there's no way he Irish, and tricks him in a manner of speaking by talking Yiddish right from the start, Murphy impulsively replies back in ........Yiddish. (James Cagney in real life by the way spoke fluent Yiddish, learn it growing up in New York City).

Cohen on the left, Cagney of course on the right.

sammy.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 11:56 PM, patches said:

Capture.PNG

HI ,  THIS JUST MADE ME GO SEE MY LUGER , BUT ITS MARKED TO THE  92nd.  BEST

1 minute ago, T BIRD said:

HI ,  THIS JUST MADE ME GO SEE MY LUGER , BUT ITS MARKED TO THE  92nd.  BEST

SORRY GOT TOO EXITED.  MINE IS TO THE 91st

• 3 weeks later...
patches

Two mock up helmets from a 1940 German Wartime movie, Wunschkonzert, this based on the real life Radio show  Wunschkonzert für die Wehrmacht . Kinda odd the use of phony helmets right figured the motion picture industry would have excellent access to the real stuff, the tunics seem alright except the shoulder straps.

wunchkonzert.PNG