Heinkel He 111 in 1/48 scale

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut
4 hours ago, earlymb said:

It could be the pics but it looks rather dusty, instead of worn with use? Maybe with highlights and then washes or drybrushing?

You are 100% right, I´ll fix that.

Rakkasan187

This has been a fascinating progression that I have enjoyed seeing with each new post..

Stunning details and craftsmanship..

I envy your skills and techniques..

Museum quality works

Leigh 

13 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

And wiped away with a soft dry cloth. Is it too much? Would like to hear your opinion.

He116.jpg

He117.jpg

Hey Lars, I feel like "earlymb". It looks like its been in a hangar for years gathering dust. Maybe a soft 'damp' cloth might have taken off a little more but left plenty in the panel lines. Again, its just MY 2 cents of advice. You do what you have to do. I'm watching with a lot of interest.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Thanks for your input mates! Still not really happy with the result but better than the light one. Here´s the black color wash.

He118.jpg

He119.jpg

Now after the wash it looks like a plane that's flown a couple of missions over Britain. Nicely done.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

There has been much back and fort with the weathering so far. I have learned that a black wash is much too dark for the dark green colors. Fortunately I was able to remove some of the wash with spiritus. I painted the pannel lines with a small brush and I think I´ll leave it this way and go on with the detailing, chipping, etc. To save the last steps I sprayed on some layers of matt varnish.

He120.jpg

He121.jpg

Complete dark wash was a bit too much indeed, I think it looks great now!

A reference that is a great help to me is the Youtube channel 'Plasmo Plastic Models', once you get used to his accent he has tons of good tips and his vids show the materials he uses.

Proud Kraut
10 hours ago, earlymb said:

Complete dark wash was a bit too much indeed, I think it looks great now!

A reference that is a great help to me is the Youtube channel 'Plasmo Plastic Models', once you get used to his accent he has tons of good tips and his vids show the materials he uses.

Thanks very much for the hint! The "How to use washes..." tutorial of PPM is one of the best I have seen so far!

Hey Lars, I can tell that you're a perfectionist like me, when it comes to our models. I think that your Heinkel looks great after the wash and matte varnish.

Semper Fi.

Manny

8 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

@Gil: very nice picture (look at the dusty surface of the He´s color!) of a Heinkel squad. But I´m thinking in larger dimensions.

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/1862224

Actually, those are Merlin-engined Spanish Casa 2.111 bombers that were hired from the Spanish airforce for this film, as were a number of Hispano Aviación HA-1112 'Buchons'; Merlin-engined Messerschmitt 109's! :)

1 hour ago, earlymb said:

Actually, those are Merlin-engined Spanish Casa 2.111 bombers that were hired from the Spanish airforce for this film, as were a number of Hispano Aviación HA-1112 'Buchons'; Merlin-engined Messerschmitt 109's! :)

Oh I know.  When the movie came out I bought every book and magazine I could find about the making of the movie.  

Unfortunately I read on the internet that most of these were returned to the Spanish Air Force and later scrapped.  There used to be at least one in the US, but it was destroyed in a crash.  But they sure did the job for the movie.  (I always felt a bit down that they did not include a few radio controlled JU-88's or Dorniers in the footage.)

Proud Kraut

Not much progress these days, but time-robbing detail painting. I don´t know how I missed that but there are some striking gaps between the cockpit and the fuselage. So I had to putty yet again, aargh!

He122.jpg

On 4/20/2020 at 10:03 PM, Proud Kraut said:

Thanks very much for the hint! The "How to use washes..." tutorial of PPM is one of the best I have seen so far!

Because of that tutorial I went to the modelshop yesterday to get some Tamiya Panel Line Wash or the Vallejo equivalent, only to find that both were sold out and that Vallejo at the moment can't be ordered due to the virus, which seems logical. I'll just have to make my own by thinning black acrylic paint.

Proud Kraut

Since we are at it. To achieve better weathering resulty with the second Heinkel I did some washing trials today. I used black acrylic paint and black oil paint and mixed the colors with different solvents (term?). Acrylic paint worked best with isopropyl (alcohol). It dried fast and could wiped away easily with a wet Q-tip. Extensively diluted it worked very well for panel lining.

He123.jpg

Proud Kraut

The oil color could not be mixed with isopropyl but with white spirit and MIG thinner for washes. These variants needed much more time to dry. The washing could be wiped away with a dry cloth without problems. In every case decals have to be covered with a varnish before the wash. I didn´t do that with my experimental model and the decals went black. So I think I found a way to mix my own washes for aircrafts. We´ll see if it works with the next Heinkel.

He124.jpg

I think it depends if the acrylics are water-based (like Vallejo) or alcohol-based (like Tamiya) to determin the best thinner for them. I believe that for oil paints you can use turpentine.

Proud Kraut
18 hours ago, earlymb said:

I think it depends if the acrylics are water-based (like Vallejo) or alcohol-based (like Tamiya) to determin the best thinner for them. I believe that for oil paints you can use turpentine.

+ 1