Heinkel He 111 in 1/48 scale

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

Exhaust - a mix of smoke, oil and grime. Before I started I did some online research. I found several pictures of He 111 with massive black exhaust stripes on both sides of the wings. I airbrushed wider stripes with vallejo "Sea Grey" and center stripes with Vallejo "NATO Black".

He125.jpg

He126.jpg

Nice. I 'personally' use a mixture of Tamiya Flat Black & Flat Brown (50/50) to make what I call "soot". Which gives that appearance of oil, grime and smoke soot. But I like how it came out on the top of the wings. This is going to be one nice looking bird.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

I did some major mistake. I used a too large nozzle with the air brush. You can see the color spots beside the blck exhaust stripes. The next time (Heinkel 111 H-22) I´ll use the 0,2 mm nozzle.

After the airbrush colors had dried I added stripes of TENSOCROM active surface agent "Smoke" with a Q-tip.

He127.jpg

He128.jpg

Proud Kraut
32 minutes ago, ArtyScout said:

Nice. I 'personally' use a mixture of Tamiya Flat Black & Flat Brown (50/50) to make what I call "soot". Which gives that appearance of oil, grime and smoke soot. But I like how it came out on the top of the wings. This is going to be one nice looking bird.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thanks Manny! "Soot", in (northern) German "Sott", I´ll bookmark that English term.?

Proud Kraut

Okay, I finished the first Heinkel today. I added the last details like antenna, MGs and did some modest chipping. Here are some first shots of the finished He. I will add some daylight pictures later. I will continue with the H-22 variant, this time with winter camo painting.

He130.jpg

He131.jpg

He132.jpg

He133.jpg

Wow, awesome Heinkel Lars! Love the weathering especially your paint chipping. That really through this plane over the top. This plane looks like its seen a couple of missions over the British Isles. Very impressive work.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Thanks very much, Manny, mikie & earlymb! Only slow progress these days. I completed the landing gear and Jumo engines. I think I`ll finish the assembly of the H-22 this week before starting the paintwork.

He134.jpg

Proud Kraut

Assembly finished (I have to hurry a little bit because I have already received parts for the next diorama project today ?). Clear parts & cockpit masked.

He135.jpg

Primer sprayed on.. To improve the effect of the primer I sanded the model and cleaned it with petroleum benzine.

He136.jpg

Proud Kraut

Bad news from the airbrush front. After applying a coat of hairspray (chipping) I wanted to do the prshading. Unfortunately my gun began to spit.

He139.jpg

Proud Kraut

As I said, there´s a new project in the pipeline so I hope to finish the Heinkel within the next week. Here´s top and bottom (RLM 76) airbrushed now with the 0,4 mm needle/nozzle that works as usual. The V! received a coat of Vallejo grey blue (RLM 84).

He141.jpg

He142.jpg

Sounds like your needle and/or nozzle are damaged then. A careful check will tell.

What camouflage pattern will you be going for?

Proud Kraut

It´s gonna be a simple winter camo with the Heinkel. The V1 will receive a light green top.

Proud Kraut

Okay the Heinkel received it´s decals and was sealed with acrylic gloss varnish afterwards.

He142a.jpg

He143.jpg

Proud Kraut

The bottom of the V1 was masked with Blue Tack. This time the camo painting waves turned out so lala but I`ll leave it the way it is.

He145.jpg

He144.jpg

He146.jpg

Proud Kraut

Wiping off the wash 5 minutes later. You can see the difference befor and after the washing on both wings.

Washing completed.

He148.jpg

He150.jpg

He151.jpg

ArtyScout

I see you have been hard at work Lars. Your decals went on perfectly. I like the winter look of them, then the camo for the V-1 came out excellent. I would normally use good ol' "Silly Putty".? Which is probably an equivalent to your blue tack. Now the black & brown wash really accentuated and weathered the plane nicely. So far, so good. I am so looking forward to the finished planes together.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

I finished the Heinkel project today. First the daylight shots of the H-6 I promised.

He152.jpg

He153.jpg

He154.jpg